Author Topic: Gwenllian Walters, 1839-1904, born Rhandirmwyn (or Llanfair-ar-y-bryn)  (Read 750 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gwenllian Walters, 1839-1904, born Rhandirmwyn (or Llanfair-ar-y-bryn)
« on: Friday 04 November 16 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, wondering if anyone can help with this puzzle 🤔

I'm looking for the parents of Gwenllian Walters, born around 1839 in Rhandirmwyn or Llanfair-ar-y-bryn. She married Thomas Davies in Llanfrynach, Breconshire in 1862, father listed as William, a labourer.

I've found a baptism of a Gwenllian Walters on 29 April 1839, at Cilycwm parish church, daughter of William, a miner, and Mary, of Erwfach (and a similar baptism for sister Elizabeth on 30 Jan 1836, abode Pencornhudd), and a possible (likely?) marriage of a William Walters and Mary James at Llanfair-ar-y-bryn on 24 April 1835.

I can't find the family in 1841, but in 1851 they appear to be at Dderwenfawr, Cilycwm (Class HO107, piece 2470, folio 480, page 11):
William, 39, born Llanfair-ar-y-bryn, miner in lead mine
Mary, 35, born Llanfair....
Gwenllyan, 12, born Llanfair...
Mary, 6, born Cilycwm
Thomas, 3, born Cilycwm.

Gwenllian is listed as born in Llanfair-ar-y-bryn in 1861, and in Rhandirmwyn in 1871 and 1881. She is not with her husband in 1891 (not found her yet) but they are together in 1901, though her place of birth is oblitered by a rather large black smudge. She died in 1904 in Cilfynydd, near Pontypridd.

The new search from the GRO - including mother's maiden name - has brought up what appears to be the birth of Gwenllian (as Gwen, March quarter 1839, Llandovery, mmn James) though i'm checking the details before buying the certificate, but strangely, neither of the two subsequent children Mary and Thomas appear, nor can i find baptisms for them.

But my main puzzle is what happens to Gwenllian's parents William and Mary after 1851 as i cannot find them in later censuses, nor can i find death or burials for them. Confusingly there appears to be another couple called William and Mary Walters in the area though this William is a carpenter.

Until yesterday I had possible deaths, a Mary Walters in Sept quarter 1851 and a William in Sept quarter 1853, both Llandovery, but again, the new GRO facility has thrown out the death of Mary as that death was a child of 10. William's is possible but a bit too old. I have emailed Carmarthenshire registrars to see if they can look at the entries before I buy the certificates, but if this is not either of them, where are they?

Any help - or advice if i have gone wrong somewhere - would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Gwenllian Walters, 1839-1904, born Rhandirmwyn or Llanfair-ar-y-bryn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 November 16 21:51 GMT (UK) »
How about this from the new GRO site?

WALTERS, GWENLLIAN       THOMAS     
GRO Reference: 1839  S Quarter in ABERGAVENNY  Volume 26  Page 35
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gwenllian Walters, 1839-1904, born Rhandirmwyn (or Llanfair-ar-y-bryn)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 16 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks groom, I hadn't looked outside Carmarthenshire as all the evidence pointed to that area.
Sadly, the Abergavenny Gwenllian appears to have died in June quarter 1841, aged 1 (also from the new GRO site - very useful :) )
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Gwenllian Walters, 1839-1904, born Rhandirmwyn or Llanfair-ar-y-bryn
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 November 16 22:45 GMT (UK) »
At least we can rule her out then.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk