Author Topic: Facebook Messenger.  (Read 948 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Facebook Messenger.
« on: Monday 07 November 16 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Some people are asking me to join/ download Messenger on Facebook.

I don`t understand why.
I don`t have ( or even want)  internet on my PAYG phone , and only have Wi-Fi on my Android tablet.
Is there any need to have Messenger when I can contact people I want to on FB using the existing message option.
Any advice please.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook Messenger.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 November 16 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Looking at this article, if I've read it correctly, it seems as if FB are phasing out the ability to send private messages via the FB page and moving them over to Messenger.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/06/facebook-forcing-messenger-app-explainer
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 November 16 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Facebook want users to move mobile messaging from competitors tools (like SMS, Hangouts, or Skype etc.) to their own tool - Facebook Messenger.   

If you use the Facebook APP - on a tablet, or phone, then you will be pushed to use use Facebook Messenger.  Ultimately, the message function inside the Facebook APP will be blocked.

You can continue to use Facebook messages from a PC/Web browser interface to FB.  I suspect that, ultimately, they will try to stop that also (by launching a FB Messenger APP for Windows).

Why are Facebook doing this? It's all about market share, user ownership, advert revenue etc.  For a full explanation read this: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/06/facebook-forcing-messenger-app-explainer
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 November 16 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Grrrr. Can  they not see that some people`s lives don`t revolve around social networks. I use FB only to keep in touch with people I don`t see often, not for meaningless  chatting with every hours of the day

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.orca
Ok, so I found this link.  It states this .

Messenger Facebook  Communication 
PEGI 3 PEGI 3
This app is compatible with your device.

But when I click on the above This app etc,   the drop down menu tells me this. GT-p5100 is the model I have. Does this mean it won`t work on my tablet.

no carrier samsung gt-p5110

What about my desk top PC, will that  automatically have Messenger installed , or is that another thing I have to sort for myself. 
Apologies if I sound a bit thick, but when it comes to this sort of thing I am baffled.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 November 16 16:53 GMT (UK) »

You will still be able to access Facebook from your phone, just the messenger will be a separate app.

I also only use Facebook to keep in touch with people and rarely use the messenger even though it is installed.

I prefer Whatsapp
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 November 16 17:39 GMT (UK) »
From my first post , I dont have internet on my phone , and only wifi on my tablet.
I cant find a link to download messenger to my tablet.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 November 16 22:07 GMT (UK) »
What about my desk top PC, will that  automatically have Messenger installed , or is that another thing I have to sort for myself. 
Apologies if I sound a bit thick, but when it comes to this sort of thing I am baffled.

Messenger is already integrated into the "full" version of Facebook you access on your desktop browser.

By making it a separate App for phones and Tablets Facebook hoped it would become the message app of choice to replace the likes of Imessage and whatsapp etc etc.