Author Topic: William John Thomas, Pontypridd  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William John Thomas, Pontypridd
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth (Sheppard) is a younger sister (born Usk, 1858) of Bessie's mother Sarah.

Added: Silas and Elizabeth had been married for 25 years, no children by 1911. Although I've still not found them in 1901 it looks like they may well have brought WJT up. Doesn't explain the birth record though.

Anyway, that's me done for the night I'm afraid. Will get back to this tomorrow (though I'm planning to buy a few £6 pdf certs  ;D ). 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I have done numerous searches tonight on the 1901 census for Silas and Elizabeth Sheppard, and William John Thomas, but can find nothing.

What I did find, slightly strangely, was a schools admission for a William Thomas, at Treforest Board School, father William Thomas of Danybryn (which doesn't really fit what I know), but date of birth recorded as 16 June 1897 - same as 'my' WJT - and moving there from Pontshonorton school, which is where I would have expected him to be. But 'school moved to' is shown as 'left the district' so I think this must be another William Thomas sharing the same birthday :)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 20:56 GMT (UK) »
More and more mysterious.... again in the school admissions I've found William Thomas, admitted to Hawthorn mixed school in Jan 1908, date of birth 16 June 1898, father/guardian Silas Sheppard  ::).

Offline familyxmas23

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 December 23 11:49 GMT (UK) »
hi there,

I believe the William John Thomas from Trallwn, Pontypridd, that you are looking for is my great-grandfather. although from our knowledge the date of birth you have stated is slightly inaccurate.
May I ask why you are looking for him?
I myself am about to try and and search my ancestry, only have some history on my great - grandfathers side. my great grandmother was Gladys Gertrude Thomas.

look forward to hearing from you.