Author Topic: Jane Miller b.1839 North Newcastle - any BMD?  (Read 1835 times)

Offline robtaylor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Miller b.1839 North Newcastle - any BMD?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 November 16 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kevin, spotted the notification late tonight so not much time to read your posts. In a nutshell I looked at this some time ago together with another Miller researcher who was also descended from Allen Miller the 7 year old boy in the 1841 census at Camperdown or Hazelrigg as it was then.
We think William (1811) and Allan (1815) moved to the north east probably living in the Lamesley area first, William marrying Ellen Surtees mother in that parish. Next you see the family at Hazelrigg minus Ellens mother who by now has died but plus Helen Miller with her son Allen and Jane Miller born about 1836.
1851 sees the Reavleys at Dunston, Helen died 1850, Allen 1834 is at Kibblesworth, William is at Dunston Class: HO107; Piece: 2403; Folio: 72; Page: 35
1861 sees William at West Pelton just prior to his death. The Reavleys are at Houghton le Spring, Allen Miller is also at Houghton le Spring and Allan Miller is at Newcastle where he marries Ann Alexander. Allan dies at Killingworth (West Moor) and is buried at Preston Cemetery, Tynemouth.
So we think they came from Edinburgh as mentioned in various census, the family of Robert Millar - note the spelling - and Janet Low or Law. if you google Robert Millar and Bookbinder and Edinburgh you'll find some info on Robert from the NLS site.
William Millers second wife was Isabella Miller from Dunfermline I think one or two of his sons also married Dunfermline ladies.
Hope there's something new for you here.
Regards

Offline robtaylor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Miller b.1839 North Newcastle - any BMD?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 November 16 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Reading through the replies from Boo and Alan - Allen Miller married at St. Andrews 1858 he gave his address as Spital Tongues which I'm sure you'll know is just north of the city, he married as Allen Reavley and gave his father as George Reavley although thats unlikely.
I did this research about fifteen years ago so one or two things arent as clear as they should be but I seem to remember either Allan or William lived for a time in the Gallowgate area of Newcastle, I'll have to hunt that one out. Allan was born 1815 Allen is 1834.
Regards