Author Topic: Missing in USA 1940 census  (Read 595 times)

Offline seraphic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing in USA 1940 census
« on: Sunday 20 November 16 05:36 GMT (UK) »
I need help trying to locate my 2nd cousin, twice removed.  Her name is Bernice Heaven, D.O. Alfred Heaven & Rose Metz.  Bernice was the 3rd child born to Alfred & Rose on 5 August 1912 in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.  I have been able to keep track of her through the 1930 census, to the Pittsburgh 1934 -1940 US City Directory.  No trace of her in the US 1940 census.  At one time she was listed as working as a helper in "Mothers Old Farm Cookie Co, address given as r517 Cypress. When her mother died in 1954 in Allegheny, PA, the informant was her sister Lillian Schodde.  When her father died in 1956, Allegheny, PA, Alfred's son Kenneth was the informant.
I can only guess what happened to her, and that does not help me.
Any information, thoughts  or where I could perhaps look next would be appreciated.
Regards from South Australia
Chris

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing in USA 1940 census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 16 08:06 GMT (UK) »
The Pittsburgh Press of Sunday 31 December 1967 carried a notice which can be viewed at the link below (the following is the OCR text which the website shows for free):

SCHODDE Suddenly on Friday, Dec. 29, 1967, Lilloin Rose Heaven, wife ot Edgar C. Schodde ot 5215 Powhatton St.; mother of [edited: redacted] and [edited: redacted] both of Pgh.; sister of Mr. Ken-neth A. Heaven and Mrs. Bernice Henning of Pgh.; also survived bv 3 grandchildren.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/148957460/

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 November 16 08:11 GMT (UK) »
There is a Pennsylvania death certificate for an Aloysius Henning of 4429 Milgate Street who died in Pittsburgh TB hospital on 21 October 1942, his wife was given as Bernice Heaven (though her age was slightly out - 25 years of age), according to the certificate, Aloysius was born in Pittsburgh on 26 February 1917, the son of John Henning and Katherine M. Senge.

Edited to add: Findagrave shows a Bernice Henning who died on 11 April 1989 and was buried in Allegheny Cemetery (Plot: Section: 28 Lot: 387 Grave: 3), just a possibility (note: SS death index cites DOB as 6 August 1912). I can also see a candidate for Aloysius Henning in the 1940 census (right address, age and parents), he was single, so the marriage must have taken place within that 1940-42 window.

Offline seraphic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 November 16 09:40 GMT (UK) »
My gosh I just cannot believe it.  After all this time I have found her.  Bernice is at the same cemetery and location of grave as her parents.  The death notice of her sister is just a bonus I was not expecting.
Thankyou so very much, my family is now complete.  You have found her for me.

Regards,
Chris

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 November 16 11:27 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome, I've redacted a couple of names from the 1967 death notice in case they are living.  :)