Author Topic: Thomas Horatio Howarth  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Horatio Howarth
« on: Tuesday 22 November 16 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate some assistance.

I am looking for any information for Thomas Horatio Howarth born 1844 Mandhester; baptised December 6,1844 at Manchester, the son of William Howarth, born 1799 Halliwell, Lancs and Alithea born 1893 in Everton,Lancs. I have the 1851 and 1861 census taken in Lancashire where Thomas Howarth senior is an innkeeper at a hotel and his son Thomas Horatio is living with him,

I have a London Gazette of May 8,1866 announcing that the partnership between Thomas Horatio Howarth and Charles Tertius Burton, oil merchants was dissolved May 4,1866.

I have the Edinburgh Gazette Sept. 27.1861 for Thomas Horatio Howarth oil merchant in firm of Burton,Howarth & Co and that Thomas was "lately a prisoner for debt in the Liverpool Borough Gaol at Walton, Lancs

I have a criminal trial July 1,1870  and an appeal dated Nov. 12,1870 where Thomas Horatio Howarth was sentenced to 18 months at Maidstone prison for swindling tradesmen in Eastbourne and Tunbridge Wells. In Eastbourne he was using the names Lord Alfred de Courcy/C.A. De Courcey and was pelted out of town by the tradesmen. In Tunbridge Wells he went by the name of Thomas Horatio Howarth.

That's all I know about him. Is the man convicted of the crimes the same man born 1844 Manchester with parents William and Alithea? if yes what else can you find out about him-marriage/death etc etc.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Horatio Howarth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 16:18 GMT (UK) »
 Sorry for typo error..........Alithea was born 1803 Everton not as given before.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Looking at all the newspaper reports I would think he is your man.

Suspect he was the J H H, Unmarried, aged 25. Cattle Breeder born Manchester in the Kent County Jail at Maidstone on the 1871 census.  His age is transcribed as 35 on an*try and 25 on another.  Far better image on the one transcribed as aged 25  ;D  .  RG10/945 Folio 103 page 3.

As he appears to have been an under steward on a steamer in the Mediterranean at some point I would think he disappeared abroad or changed his name. 

Mo

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 08:57 GMT (UK) »
According to the document re his release from Maidstone Prison in 1871, after serving 18 months for fraud, his destination on leaving prison was America.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your reply

I would like to see the release from Maidstone prison document -can you give me a link or details on how to see it?

Could not find the 1871 census you referred to- what occupation did he give?

I would like to see the newspaper articles you refer to. Please give the article or a link so I can find them.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Emeltom for your assistance

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am suprised you can`t find the entry in 1871.  I have just checked the reference numbers I gave and they are correct.  You could try just putting an H in the surname box and J H as the first name with Maidstone as the keyword.  All the prisoners names have been recorded with just the initials.

The newpapers I access online using my library card but I don`t think there is much that you haven`t included in your first post.  Father William died in 1862 and left a will which was probated by brother William Shakespeare Howarth.  I wonder if Thomas inherited his portion when he reached the age of 21 and then made some bad choices and lost it all.   

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 November 16 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mo

No still cant find the 1871 census record.  Since you seem to have no trouble finding it would you just tell me from the census his place of birth,age, occupation.

So you found nothing about him that I didn't post in my inquiry? Too bad as I was hoping to add to the facts.

Can anyone find an article regarding his frauds in Eastbourne during the last 2 weeks of June 1870 under the names of Lord Courscy/ Lord Alfred de Courcy/ C.A. De Courcy ?

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 November 16 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this is Thomas Horatio or not but on 28 Feb 1891 both the Whitstable Times & Herne Bay Herald and the Kentish Times & Farmers Gazette both ran a story from America about a man calling himself C Oscar de Courcy who had arrived in Bangor, Maine and was purportedly the son of an English Lord. He had  what the papers called letters of representation and appeared to have money. He eventually married a Georgia Hoar and soon after the marriage started borrowing money from her father. He said his family had disowned him for marrying below his rank which was why he was short of cash. Eventually he said his father had died and apparently received two cheques from England, one for £5000 and one for £1000 but they were too large to be cashed locally. However he lived well on the strength of appearing to have money. Eventually his creditors became suspicious and he fled. He was later caught and arrested for obtaining money under false pretences

Sound familiar to you?

There are also a couple of articles from around the time of his arrest in Kent in 1870 and one says that he obtained lodgings saying his name was Courcy and that he had been staying with his cousin Lord Alfred Courcy in Brighton, later proved to be a lie.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more