Author Topic: reducing picture size  (Read 756 times)

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
reducing picture size
« on: Wednesday 30 November 16 14:51 GMT (UK) »
In the simplest step by step way ( yes i am that computer illiterate!) can some one explain how to upload pictures to rootschat? When i try to attach a file from my laptop roots says that they are to big.

TIA
Byrne, Butterfield, Gilbert, Sutcliffe, Furey, Alderson, Warham, to name a few!

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: reducing picture size
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Suggestion:

Try this on an UNIMPORTANT picture first

Launch Windows Paint and then load the image you want to resize.

Click the "Home" tab, then the "Resize" button.

Check the box labeled "Maintain aspect ratio." When this option is selected, your image maintains its original height and length proportions. Otherwise, the image will appear skewed.

Select "Percentage" or "Pixels" as your resize method. When Percentage is chosen, the original image size is 100 percent. If you select "Pixels" instead, the image size will display using pixel or picture element units.

Type in the reduced image size in the input box labeled "Horizontal" or "Vertical" and press "Enter." For example, if you're adjusting the percentage and your original image is 1,024 pixels wide and 768 pixels tall, and you want to reduce it by half, type "50" in the Horizontal input box. If you selected Pixels, type "512" in the input box to reduce the size by half.

Click "Save" to save the resized image.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »

Click "Save" to save the resized image.

Just to say that you should really  "Save as" with a <new name>. The original image will then be preserved as well as the new resized one. Otherwise, you'll be in danger of overwriting the original.

Added - just seen that they're for upoading on here.
You need to make sure that they are 500kb or less. Also, name them as something that will be unique - adding your name or initials and date is a good way of doing this.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 December 16 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Reducing the size to half (horizontally and vertically) reduces the number of pixels to 25%. So if you just over the limit you should reduce the size gradually until you are under 500 Kb. That is if image quality is important.

Ken

guest189040

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 January 17 20:40 GMT (UK) »
If you have say a folder full you want to resize download Picassa and use it by selecting Export, then set size and the whole folder.

All done in a few seconds.