Author Topic: Harry William Hailstone's wife  (Read 2004 times)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Harry William Hailstone's wife
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 December 16 23:40 GMT (UK) »
on the same page crossed out as next of kin are his mother-Mary Ann....father John ?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 December 16 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I have come across Harry Edward Hailstone, but the one I'm looking at is Harry William Hailstone.
Kathleen May Hailstone may have married Charles R Nevard in Tendring Essex in 1921. Name of bride Kathleen M Hailstone.  Not 100% sure as I have also come across a Kathleen Maud Hailstone. Not sure about the 'M'.

Wasn't your one May Kathleen though rather that Kathleen May?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 December 16 23:43 GMT (UK) »
May Kathleen or Kathleen May Peck would have lived within a couple of houses of Harry William Hailstone.  Both their addresses were Church Hill, Pakenham. I know it well as I pass it every week and will be going to a service at the church there, tomorrow.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 December 16 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Harry William's details are

Harry William Hailstone
Birth :   abt 1876 Pakenham, Suffolk, England
Enlistment Age:   43
Year:   1919
Regimental Number:   696746
Regiment Name:   Labour Corps

Is that the one you are looking at Gortonboy?

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 December 16 23:45 GMT (UK) »
: Born at Pakenham in 1873, the son of William and Caroline Hailstone he lived in Church Hill. He was an agricultural labourer. He had served in the Suffolk Regiment for 8 years Reg. No. 5128, having first enlisted in 1897. He served for 2 years in the 2nd Canadian Pioneers Reg. No. 166197  seeing action in Flanders, then with the Royal Marine Engineers for 240 days, Reg No 3357. On 2nd June 1919 he re-enlisted in the 182 Labour Corps, No. 696746 and was discharged as unfit for service (80% disabled) with pleurisy and valvular disease of the heart due to active service 9th Feb 1920 and died 17 days later
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 December 16 23:51 GMT (UK) »
I think it was quite common to change names around as I have come across it on several occasions. There is one person on the Pakenham war memorial who caused me difficulty in my research as he is listed as Wilfred. It transpires his baptismal names were William Frederick which gave the Wil and Fred of Wilfred.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 December 16 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen that Harry Hailstone ( 166197) when enlisting for the Canadian Army on September 6th 1915, gives his date of birth as 25th August 1878? Has he knocked 5 years off his age?

He says he served 12 years Imperial Service, 7 years in India and 2 years 9 months in South Africa.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 December 16 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I haven't got a worldwide subscription to that website, but did notice his Canadian service. So thanks to Groom for that info. Got a lot of info from his UK service record. Interestingly I have found his mother Caroline Emma Peck Bullett. So there is a Peck family connection before Harry's marriage. His mother was the daughter of William Peck and Susan Bullett, but born 4 years before the wedding. ? adopted by William Peck?? All of Pakenham. The mystery deepens!!

Offline LINDA HAILSTONE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 July 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
his wife was May V Peck they married Deecember quarter 1918 registered  Bury St Edmunds Suffolk MC 4a 1950.