Author Topic: Hertfordshire Record Office Look up please?  (Read 2434 times)

Offline jackiedillimore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hertfordshire Record Office Look up please?
« on: Monday 05 December 16 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone help me please? I am trying to find the baptism of William King born about 1799 in Hertford.
 On the 1851 Census he says he was born in All Saints, Fore Street, Hertford.

I am desperate to find out who his parents are as i cannot get any further back with my tree until i do? Also if you happen to come across any siblings i would be very grateful for the information.

Thanking you for any help
Jackie
DILLIMORE / DELAMORE/ or any of the 22 Variants ( Anywhere )
THEARLE ( Marylebone / London )
BODDY ( Buckinghamshire / Middlesex / Berkshire/ Oxfordshire )
BARBER ( Norwich / Norfolk )
FEARNLEY ( Norfolk )
GREENGRASS ( Norfolk )
HORNIGOLD / HORNAGOLD ( Norfolk )
ING  ( Buckinghamshire / Middlesex )
GRIFFIN ( Bristol  / Shoreditch / Bethnal Green )
GREGORY ( Gloucestershire / Warwickshire / Middlesex )
BLACKOLLEY / BLACKHOLLY / BLACKELY( Shoreditch / London )

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hertfordshire Record Office Look up please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 January 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »
How do you know this is the correct William King? Do you have other information?
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 17 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Is that the William King who has a young wife in 1861  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jackiedillimore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 January 17 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paco & rosie99,

Thank you for trying to help me, Yes that is my William with his 2nd wife Elizabeth in the 1861 census. He says he was born in All Saints, Hertford on it. In 1861 he is still living in Shoreditch, London. William is aged 62 on the 1861 census. William dies in 1873.
On the 1851 census William is a widower his first wife Mary died in 1845, once again on the 1851 he says he was born at Fore Street, Hertford which is in the All Saints area. He is with his 3 children.
William, Charles & James in the 1851 Census living in Shoreditch, London. William is aged 52 on the 1851 census.

On the 1841 Census William is living in Shoreditch, London with his first wife Mary and 4 of his children William, Mary, Charles & James. William also says on the 1841 census that he was not born in the same county as Shoreditch. William is aged 40 on the 1841 Census.

William is a Carpenter throughout.

I have a copy William King & Mary Ann's marriage in ST Lukes Church, Finsbury on 8 Dec 1833.

I am desperate to find the baptism of William King as i can't get back any further, unfortunately i don't live close enough to the record office to pay a visit myself, and i don't believe these records are available online? so if anyone could help me i would be very grateful.
Many Thanks
Jackie
FEARNLEY ( Norfolk )
GREENGRASS ( Norfolk )

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 January 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Have you any idea when he married Elizabeth
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jackiedillimore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 January 17 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, No unfortunatley i dont, i believe it was about 1856? On the 1851 census she is living at the  same address as William with her son John ( Paulson / Paulsy ) as Williams Lodger and a widow. She was born in Shoreditch. John King aged 20 on the 1861 census a Locksmith  in in fact her son down as John Paulsy on the 1851 census aged 10 also born Shoreditch.

Thanking you for your help
Jackie
FEARNLEY ( Norfolk )
GREENGRASS ( Norfolk )

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 January 17 17:48 GMT (UK) »
I think Elizabeth's son is John Pawsey not Pausy.  There is a John Thomas Pawsey born 1840, the new GRO website index lists his mother's maiden name as Poulson.  Elizabeth Poulson married John Pawsey in 1839 at Hoxton St John the Baptist.  Her father was Thomas Pouson.  There is a John Pawsey, Elizabeth Pawsey and John Pawsey aged 11 months residing at Willow Street, Shoredtich, on the 1841 Census.  Living next door is a Thomas and Elizabeth Pouson who have a daughter Emma aged 10.  This could be the 3rd lodger with William King on the 1851 Census, 20 year old Emma Poulson born Shoreditch.  I can't though find a marriage of William King to Elizabeth Pawsey, I wonder even though she claimed to be a widow if her husband John disappeared and she cohabited with William King.  I know it doesn't help you but that is a distinct possibility.

Checked Hertford All Saints original register indexed for baptisms for 1795-1805 and can't see any King baptisms there during that period, there are other King baptisms though at St Andrew but no William's.  He may have been thought he was born there but there is no sign of a baptism under that surname as far as I can see.

Where did William King die in 1873 please as I can't seem to find them on the 1871 Census?
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jackiedillimore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello smudwhisk,

Wow!! Thank you so so much, sorry i didn't get back to you sooner but i had to go to work last night.
This is fantastic!! Thank you for looking at the original records i really appreciate that. I know it doesn't get me any further but i can put a line under it now? and try and look elsewhere?
Regarding Williams death i realise that it was not a certainty and in fact i have had another look today and i am not sure its correct at all, so sorry for the wrong info. I do have a census in the 1871 but i am not really sure this is the right one? If it is Elizabeth has changed her age and William is now a labourer but up until now he's always been a carpenter. So i am very unsure of this and this was in my query file!!
Thank you so much for your help i really do appreciate all the time and trouble you have taken.
Many Thanks
Jackie

FEARNLEY ( Norfolk )
GREENGRASS ( Norfolk )

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 March 17 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Find My Past has Hertfordshire Parish registers. I did a search for William King born 1799 +/- 2 years for the whole of Hertford and it returned 6 results. Year ranging 1797-1801. Places Bishops Strotford, Hexton, Rickmansworth, Thorley, Bovingdon, Sawbridgeworth. since I am not familiar with Hertfordshire area it is unknown to me if any of these places would be near where he stated he was born.

Sharon
Researching: Collins-Hertfordshire, Chiswick and London areas; Johnson and Egan in Hammersmith; Gurney - Brentford; Goodhew - Essex.