Author Topic: MOORHEN Surname  (Read 1293 times)

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MOORHEN Surname
« on: Monday 05 December 16 16:00 GMT (UK) »
My 5x great grandmother was a woman named Elizabeth Oliver Moorhen, born around 1787 in Tywell.

I haven't done a lot of digging into her ancestry yet (haven't found a baptism record) but I just thought it was an interesting name and would like to know if anyone else has this name in their tree.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MOORHEN Surname
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 December 16 16:47 GMT (UK) »
My 5x great grandmother was a woman named Elizabeth Oliver Moorhen, born around 1787 in Tywell.

I haven't done a lot of digging into her ancestry yet (haven't found a baptism record) but I just thought it was an interesting name and would like to know if anyone else has this name in their tree.
I think that the village should be Twywell between Thrapston and Kettering. My 3x great grandfather was John Morehen, similar and not neccessarily different, from Wadenhoe which is about 5 kms east of Twywell and there are connections to Slipton which is just down the lane from Twywell. Could well be a connection in there somewhere but I cannot find a baptism for John  >:(
A word of warning, Moorhen or Morehen, gets transcribed in many different ways, I think that I have seen around 20 different spellings so far such as Morchen or Moreing or even Marten.

Regards,
Paul
Palmers of Pilton, Ramsey, and Derbyshire - Berrills of Bozeat and Wellingborough -  Byles of Suffolk and Northants - Norris of Farnham - Morehens, Hills, Carters of Northants -  Smarts, Pettits, Woodings of Bozeat

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 December 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »
There don't appear to be any Moorhens (of any spelling) in Twywell. Nearest is Wadenhoe, but the only ELizabeth was baptised in 1782.

There is an Elizabeth Oliver baptised in 1789 in Twywell, but I can't see any reason she would have become an Elizabeth Moorhen!

Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 December 16 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Mooren d/o Thomas & Sarah bpt 1791 Dec 25 Gt Addington CofE

(Northants Baptisms Index)

... could be a late bpt. Gt Addington walking distance from Twywell.

... Mooren, that's how we might say it in this part of the world (in fact it was my nickname at junior school)  :)
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 December 16 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps she is the Elizabeth daughter of John and Jane OLIVER bapt 1 Feb 1789 at Twywell
Modified
Whoops sorry PrawnCocktail , you already found that!

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 December 16 21:28 GMT (UK) »

I think that the village should be Twywell between Thrapston and Kettering. My 3x great grandfather was John Morehen, similar and not neccessarily different, from Wadenhoe which is about 5 kms east of Twywell and there are connections to Slipton which is just down the lane from Twywell. Could well be a connection in there somewhere but I cannot find a baptism for John  >:(
A word of warning, Moorhen or Morehen, gets transcribed in many different ways, I think that I have seen around 20 different spellings so far such as Morchen or Moreing or even Marten.

Regards,
Paul
Yes sorry I meant Twywell. Thanks for the warning about the spellings, I had a feeling that would be the case. Maybe we will be able to match up our Morehens!

There don't appear to be any Moorhens (of any spelling) in Twywell. Nearest is Wadenhoe, but the only ELizabeth was baptised in 1782.

There is an Elizabeth Oliver baptised in 1789 in Twywell, but I can't see any reason she would have become an Elizabeth Moorhen!

Twywell is what she gave as her place of birth in the 1851 and 1861 censuses, it could be wrong.

Elizabeth Mooren d/o Thomas & Sarah bpt 1791 Dec 25 Gt Addington CofE

(Northants Baptisms Index)

... could be a late bpt. Gt Addington walking distance from Twywell.

... Mooren, that's how we might say it in this part of the world (in fact it was my nickname at junior school)  :)
She did get married in Great Addington.

Perhaps she is the Elizabeth daughter of John and Jane OLIVER bapt 1 Feb 1789 at Twywell
Modified
Whoops sorry PrawnCocktail , you already found that!

I'm considering the possibility that she may have been born Elizabeth Oliver. It's obviously a family name, since she named her daughter Elizabeth Oliver, and a granddaughter was also named after her.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked the 1777 Militia Lists for Morehen , etc.

None in Twywell, Slipton, Wadenhoe, or either Addington, but just the one in nearby Lowick, which I do hope becomes of use in time because we rarely get descriptions of our ancestors ...
(Samuel was exempt, hence the < >)

<Smll. Morehen, servant, very short and splaid footed>

(Northants Militia Lists 1777 - Northants Record Soc, Vol xxv)
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017