Author Topic: Looking for help with German ancestry  (Read 2902 times)

Offline SarahEliza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for help with German ancestry
« on: Saturday 17 December 16 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have been researching a German ancestor who lived in England and I am specifically trying to find out when and where he died. I believe that he may have returned to Germany, because I can't find when or where he died in England. I'm not sure how or where to access German ancestry records (in English if possible). I wondered if anyone could advise me, please? His name was Otto Johannes Herrlich (born in 1841 in Stettin Stadt). In the 1881 census, he was living in Merton, Surrey and is single. In the 1891 census, he is married and living in Lambeth. I know that he was living in the South East of England from at least the mid-1870s. I am related to O.J.H, but not to his German wife.
Many thanks.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help with German ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 December 16 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There is this probate record -

Otto Johannes Herrlich of 29 Chestnut Road, West Norwood, Surrey
Death  - 3 Sep 1900, Johannesburg, South Africa
Probate Date - 28 Jan 1901

Was his wife called Emilie?

JJ

Offline SarahEliza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 December 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you. Yes, his wife was called Emilie (born in Germany).
I didn't know that he died in South Africa.

Thank you.

Offline SarahEliza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 December 16 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Otto's father's name was Carl August Herrlich and his mother's maiden name was Bertha Weber. Otto had quite a few siblings (all born in Pommern), though his brother Rudolph August Herrlich died in 1924 in Surrey. If anyone has any nineteenth century photos or images of the family, I'd love to hear from you.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 December 16 22:59 GMT (UK) »
You may find the Anglo-German Family History Society helpful. http://www.agfhs.org
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline SarahEliza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 December 16 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for suggesting that Graham.
I'll visit the website. I hadn't heard of it.
Thank you.

Offline black.betty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ruesselsheim / Hessen / Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 January 17 20:33 GMT (UK) »
His marriage

Offline SarahEliza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 January 17 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello black.betty,

Thank you very much for posting this marriage certificate. That was very kind of you. I'm uncertain how to access such German records myself. This is really fascinating and it reveals information that I did not know, so thank you.

I didn't know that Emilie's parents were called Gottlieb Heinrich Zwanck and Sophie Henriette (born Becker) Zwanck, although I knew that Emilie's maiden name was Zwanck. I don't speak much German and my German is rather 'rusty'. Some of the handwriting on the document is hard to read, so I wonder if anyone could help me understand or confirm some information, please?

The marriage certificate states that Otto was born in 1841, which I knew. At the beginning of it, the date of the marriage is stated. The words at the end of the date are handwritten. Is it 1889 or 1884 or another date? It looks as though it could be 1881, but this is a bit earlier than I believed him to have been married.

Before the words 'Sohn de' (Son of) Karl August Herrlich and Bertha (born Bertha Weber), there are two handwritten words, written before the name Karl. Could anyone tell me what these two words are, please? It then states that Karl and Bertha are 'Wohnhaft zu' (resident in) a place that begins with an 'N', I think. Could anyone tell me what this might be, please? Lastly, in terms of Otto's details; before the printed word 'Religion’, there is long handwritten word. Could anyone tell me what this word is, please?

I know that I have a lot of questions, but even if just one or two could be answered, that would be great.

Thank you,
Sarah.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 January 17 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Religion = Lutheran
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan