Author Topic: Leigh Cemetery and the CWGC  (Read 401 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Leigh Cemetery and the CWGC
« on: Wednesday 21 December 16 10:09 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information about a soldier (Pte Edward Nutt) who died in 1919 and is buried in Leigh Cemetery. The CWGC has a commemoration for him confirms that is where he was buried. Findagrave also has an entry for him which is labelled "No Marker". The CWGC notes 31 people buried in that cemetery and there is a general photograph of a large plinth and sword. My question is: are there traditional CWGC headstones for all these fallen - including Edward?

Many thanks

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leigh Cemetery and the CWGC
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Short answer is no.  Some families went for a private grave of their own choosing and in Edwards case, the initials PR and PP on the grave registration documents (under the heading CWGC Archive)  indicate Private memorial and Private Grave.

So his grave is there and perhaps not found by Findagrave.  (From experience of photographing war graves, private memorials are often, sadly, not well maintained and can be very difficult to find).

Britishwargraves.co.uk is worth contacting to ask if they have a photo of the grave. 

maxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Re: Leigh Cemetery and the CWGC
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Max
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson