Author Topic: Donnelly  (Read 2545 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Donnelly
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 December 16 22:07 GMT (UK) »
John Donnelly married Maria Stafford 1873- his parents Henry & Margaret, bride's address 81 Marrowbone-
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=st.catherine_mf_1811-1857_ma_0306

John Donnelly (died 1891) was age 66 and informant was sister-in-law Catherine Byrne of 97 Summer Hill-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1891/06056/4726119.pdf

,,, and Catherine Byrne's maiden name was Stafford which fits with Maria Stafford married to John Donnelly!
So, was John Donnelly a brother of James Donnelly?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 December 16 22:59 GMT (UK) »

Offline MAF123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 December 16 01:21 GMT (UK) »
 :-\  Guess what - I am totally confused!

I have found all the Whelan progeny I think.

My James Donnelly, married to Catherine King was born in 1817 to Patrick Donnelly and Ellen Wood.
I am beginning to think the Marrowbone Lane connection might have been via the wife of John Donnelly and thus far have no familial connection to this John Donnelly other than the fact his father was Henry and James and Catherine might have had a son Henry though the Catherine had no surname mentioned in his baptism record. (and the bacon curing connection - my James may well have been a poor cousin who worked for the Donnelly bacon people)  But they all began as pig jobbers in my family I think !

I shall keep on trying to connect the dots but am pleased to find more of my grandmother's relos.

MAF

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline MAF123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 December 16 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Yep. got those but was not able to find any more yet there is a Michael Donnelly married to a Margaret King at about the same time as James and Catherine were married and the witness was a Catherine King.  However, one realises the magnitude of the search when the census for 1901 shows 69 James Donnellys in Dublin alone.  I suppose I am really searching to see whether my Donnelly family survived into the 20th century.  Thankyou for your help.

Margaret Fullarton

Offline MAF123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 December 16 10:53 GMT (UK) »
And to be perfectly honest, I have extrapolated from dates re the parentage of my James - it may well have been someone else as there are Donnellys who are godparents who don't make the list so I  may well be like some others who force the fit rather than accept that these are not the right people.  I like the Australian certificates where the parents and children are listed on the certificates - but then again, even that info could be wrong!  It's a long journey.....

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 December 16 19:48 GMT (UK) »

Offline MAF123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 December 16 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Well, it was the fact he was the only James baptised at St Catherine's at that time and as it was their marriage church and the baptism place for all their children and the date of 1817 fitted with his death date and age which led me to believe these were his parents but looking at the godparents of his children - Thomas Donnelly and an Anne Donnelly, then perhaps you are right in saying they are not his parents.  The search goes on.

MAF