Author Topic: Deerings Road, Reigate  (Read 764 times)

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deerings Road, Reigate
« on: Tuesday 27 December 16 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello

In the 1901 census my grandma, Alice Irene Wallis, is living with her uncle Benjamin and his wife in Wilton House, Deerings Road.

Benjamin's probate record after his death in 1910 gives his address as Wilton House, 52 Deerings Road.

Would the house at 52 Deerings Road nowadays be the same as 52 Deerings Road in 1910? I understand that it might have been altered but is the address in the same place?

Regards

Suds

Offline phoenix2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Deerings Road, Reigate
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I would have said the likelihood of it being the same house is quite high, if you look on google maps at number 44 in that road you'll see the date on that is 1910 (although someone has ruined it by painting it white) - there's a plaque high up, just under the eaves. I used to live in Kingston upon Thames and that style of house is fairly typical of the area in the period just after the 1900s.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I lived in Deerings road in my childhood.  That wasn't as early as 1910 though! 

But I would say it is unlikely to have been renumbered.  Certainly when I visited it last year the numbering (at least for the houses I was looking at ) was the same as it was in the 40's and 50's (also before my time I hasten to add, but I had family there then)

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 17:08 GMT (UK) »
phoenix2 and lizdb

Thanks both. I think you are correct.

Benjamin describes himself in the 1901 census as a coachman. Number 52 looks like an impressive house for a coachman.

Regards

Suds

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Later his wife Louisa Wallis is living there on her own as a widow in three rooms,  she is sharing the house with a Payne family.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 18:35 GMT (UK) »
jennifer c

I've no idea if they were renting or if they owned it. However, when Benjamin died in 1910 his probate was for £496, which could be the value of the house. When Louisa dies in 1927 she leaves £666, again it could be the value of the house. I know that when my Mum and Dad bought a house (semi-detached) in 1936 they paid £400, so 52 Deerings Road looks like Benjamin and Louisa are doing alright.

I can add that my Gran left Reigate in 1909 when she married my Grandad. There was some sort of family disruption and she never went back or made contact with her family, very sad.

Regards

Suds