Author Topic: William Godsil  (Read 3613 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Godsil
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey thank you

I really have no idea if he was still alive after 1901 so its a case of grasping at straws with the military  records as i just do not know where he was.

Myluck thank you for verifying the service record of William Godsell possibly born 1899

Maggsie as i say i know nothing of him after 1901 so anything is possible as to where he ended up.
I have no trees on Ancestry

just as an aside the William Godsell who died in 1911 is buried Glasnevin age 18 and his name is spelt Godsill but this could just be down to an individuals interpretation of the spelling.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Not what your looking for and you may have it already,but there is a report on his father's death in the Kildare Observer, buried in The Pass Cemetery.
http://archive.irishnewsarchive.com/Olive/APA/KCL.Edu/#panel=home

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 19:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm guessing 'The Pass' is Passlands  Monasterevin.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sinann thats already been found 3 yrs ago should have posted link in case someone went off on a tangent searching
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=669681.0

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 December 16 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I checked the tree and it's not your William.
BUT the William Godsell you mentioned, reading the posts and the Army number saying he was from Tipperary, I looked in Ancestry and found him listed with a new regiment, new number 18313. (also states the old number)
These records I can get for you, please let me know.
On the papers it doesn't give next of kin.
Maggsie

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 December 16 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I checked the tree and it's not your William.
BUT the William Godsell you mentioned, reading the posts and the Army number saying he was from Tipperary, I looked in Ancestry and found him listed with a new regiment, new number 18313. (also states the old number)
These records I can get for you, please let me know.
On the papers it doesn't give next of kin.
Maggsie

Maggsie
The discharge address is the same road (although renamed) as the 1899 William GODSELL from Clonmel was living at in 1901 and 1911
I don't think that this is the same man as dathai is searching for
Athought he may be related given the unusual name
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 December 16 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggsie and myluck

Maggsie i think myluck is right its not my man.

my initial search started with Timothy McDonnells two children family lore thought the mother Elizabeth Godsil was a Jew or foreigner of some sort not helped by the fact that when the midwife registered their births in 1912 Timothy jnr mother  Lizzie Galden and Amelia in 1915 mother Lizzie Godsin where as the 1911 marriage cert Elizabeth Godsil dtr of John Godsil.

John Godsil got married in Carrick on Shannon in 1882 son of Richard Godsil a school teacher and i have never been able to define where he came from or where born as i dont know how old he was when he died as his death is not registered , his first child was born in Waterford 1883 and the rest in various counties around Ireland.
The priest who performed the marriage was'nt any help either as he did'nt bother to record any parental details in the marriage register so all i have are the details from the civil cert.
The family have rigidly stuck with the spelling GODSIL through out the birth registrations including the unfortunate death of Amelia in 1940
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/3132209/GODSIL,%20AMELIA

so as i said i am some times grasping at straws searching similar sounding names.

thank you for your time and input

Dathai

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 December 16 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi dathai
I think the 8th May 1911 death cert from the NDU is the William you are looking for.
29th Sept 1902 admission, has him as the son of Mary Godsil, a widow who has been admitted to the hospital for treatment along with Beatrice (3 and a half) and Teresa (10 months) all of no fixed abode. And a note which I presume was added later says
Died 8th May 1911. The two girls seem to have been sent to Cork street hospital.
I'll try upload the snippets that say what happened to mother Mary as I can't make out much of the writing.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 December 16 18:14 GMT (UK) »