Author Topic: Caterson also spelt Catterson) family from Co. Tyrone  (Read 5960 times)

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Caterson also spelt Catterson) family from Co. Tyrone
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe

Margaret Caterson was 25 years of age when she arrived in Australia on 26 September 1862 - so she was born c.1837.  James her brother was 26 years of age when he arrived in 1841 - so he was born c.1815 - 22 years difference.

No, we have no proof that Susannah and Margaret were sisters.  The reason we 'assumed' they were sisters was that Susannah had been widowed in 1859 when she was pregnant with her third child.  (Susannah's husband was murdered 3 months before her 3rd child was born.)

On the shipping papers it shows that Susannah (aged 19) sponsored Margaret (aged 25).  Susannah being a widow with no family living near her to support her, and bringing up 3 small children, we just think it must be her sister as she sponsored Margaret's voyage, and paid 1 pound.  Also, Margaret was from Castlederg in Co. Tyrone, which is 11.4 miles from Strabane, where Susannah came from.

We can't confirm their relationship with Irish records as there aren't any, unfortunately.

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Dear Wivenhoe

Thanks you so much for the suggestion you gave us in your post of 9 January:

Possibly?
BDM VIC  birth
1855 / 2517 BUIKS Thos Hy   parents Jas Fredk /  Jane CATTERSON  @ SHURST

We got the birth certificate today and it is the right family!  I can't tell you how much we appreciate your help as we wouldn't have found this birth without you.

The birth certificate tells us that Jane and Jas Fredk were married in Sydney in 1843 - pre civil registration, and they also had 5 children, 2 were deceased.  Jane was Catholic but I don't know Jas's religion, and not sure where they lived in Sydney, so may be difficult to find a marriage certificate.  At the time of the birth, the family were living in Sandhurst (Bendigo) and he was a digger.

Looking at the writing on the birth certificate, the surname actually looks like Binks, so that's another avenue for us to follow up on.

After the child's birth we can find no further information unfortunately, so will need to check other states to see if we can locate them elsewhere.

Once again, thanks to everyone who took their time to help me - much appreciated.

Warm regards
Sharon

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 05:33 GMT (UK) »
NSW marriages 1843 using groom surname B* with first name James and bride as Jane (no surname entered)
2021/1843 V18432021 93 BINKS, James T.  and KARRISON / KERRISON, Jane; LD
117/1843 V1843117 131 BURKE, James F. and KERRESON, Jane; LD
LD = Roman Catholic  Sydney, St Mary's

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 05:44 GMT (UK) »
NSW marriages 1843 using groom surname B* with first name James and bride as Jane (no surname entered)
2021/1843 V18432021 93 BINKS, James T.  and KARRISON / KERRISON, Jane; LD
117/1843 V1843117 131 BURKE, James F. and KERRESON, Jane; LD
LD = Roman Catholic  Sydney, St Mary's

Well found  cupoflife.  Those two entries are likely for the one marriage, one being a transmitted copy of the other.   

Sadly, these two entries are part of that flawed NSW BDM online database that does not give accurate date of event, to help 'prove' they are the one event.   

A Transcription of the one from Vol 131, line 117 may have more detail than the Vol 93 line 2021 entry.   NSW BDM Register's document will be a typed up one and NOT an image of the parish register, so it is sensible to get official transcription and save the pennies.  However, there is usually SCANT info from a family history perspective.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 05:49 GMT (UK) »
NSW Births: searching 1843-1855 using surname B*K* with Father James; Mother Jane
1132/1849 V18491132 66 BINKS James; Father-James; Mother-Jane

2627/1847 V18472627 64 BANKS George ; Father-James; Mother-Jane
2527/1847 V18472527 64 BANKS George; Father-James; Mother-Jane
1353/1851 V18511353 141 BANKS Elen; Father-James; Mother-Jane
296/1851 V1851296 68 BANKS Ellen; Father-James; Mother-Jane

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Dear cupoflife

Thanks so much for your two posts.  After we received your first post we went onto NSWBDM and found the births in your second message - Ellen and George BANKS.  We also found surname BINKS - birth of son, James, in 1849.  The parents for both BANKS and BINKS are James and Jane.

So, we're off to the NLA tomorrow or Friday, to look at the St Mary's microfilm, to see what we can find.

Once again THANKS - you've been very helpful and we appreciate it.

Warm regards
Sharon

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear majm

Thanks for all your help, too.  Your advice on the lines to look at are most helpful.

As I told cupoflife, we are able to access the NLA records and will do that in the next couple of days.

I'm absolutely amazed at how helpful people are on ROOTSCHAT, and how they are happy to share their knowledge.  I appreciate all the help people are so ready to give as it's saved me so much time and I know that I wouldn't have found the records that I have if it wasn't for the ROOTSCHAT Community.

Thanks everyone.

Warm regards
Sharon

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Margaret CATERSON.

Since I first put my query on ROOTSCHAT for sisters Jane and Margaret Caterson (or Catterson), I've discovered more information about Margaret.

after Margaret arrived, she accepted a 3 month contract to work for Frances HADSLEY.  Mrs Hadsley tutored young girls in houses that she appears to have rented.  we've also found her living in Missenden Road, opposite the university.

Once the 3 months was up, we can find no more information for her.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I think I can rule out the marriage of Margaret CATERSON to Henry War TURNBULL in 1871 in NSW.
Her obit says she was born in Upper Colo http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article136672372
Obit for Henry War TURNBULL http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article81913490
to show they are of same address.

Ros

adding : whoops I see you said earlier that this Margaret was James' daughter
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland