Author Topic: NAAIRS help re: Murray Stewart  (Read 1006 times)

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
NAAIRS help re: Murray Stewart
« on: Thursday 29 December 16 16:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm searching for my great grandfather, Murray Stewart, who I know went to South Africa from Scotland sometime before 1941.  I have found a record on family search of his marriage to Elizabeth Jane Bellord (nee Billing) in Jan of 1941 (he was previously married in Scotland to a Grace Neilson).
I have been searching for other records for either Murray or Elizabeth in South Africa, and came across her death in 1951 in East London, South Africa, also on family search.  She is listed as a widow.

I have had a much harder time with the NAAIRS database, but just came across this hit. Could someone tell me what type of record it is (is it perhaps his death) and how I might get access to it?  Thanks so much in advance!
Jennifer

DEPOT     NAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MSCE                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 00                                                                   
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 630/1944                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          STEWART, MURRAY. S/SP STEWART, ELIZABETH JANE PR/SP STEWART, GRACE.   
STARTING  19440000                                                             
ENDING    19440000   

Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa
Neilson in Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland
Baillie in Peebles, Paisley, Edinburgh Scotland
Anderson in Angus/Forfarshire & Kincardineshire Scotland
Forbes in Kirkden Forfarshire & Kincardineshire, Scotland
Patterson/Paterson in Carmyllie & Kirkden, Forfarshire Scotland
Calhoun in Tyrone, Ireland & Jersey City, New Jersey
Mitchard in Liverpool England & New Jersey

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: NAAIRS help re: Murray Stewart
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 December 16 17:08 GMT (UK) »
this is their marriage record
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 16 17:36 GMT (UK) »
as far as I know, that will be this death record, held in Pietermaritzburg. S/SP is "surviving spouse", PR/SP is "previous spouse", as he was a widower.

Again, as NAAIRS does not post records online you need to pay a researcher to go in and photograph the documents in person. There are a few such researchers, and they tend to charge only about 25p per page, but you need to pay up front and wait till they have enough orders. It's a few years since I last did this, but you will eventually receive digital copies of the records. 

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 16 17:51 GMT (UK) »

Hi that is a Death Notice held in the Pietermaritzburg archives. They are usually quite detailed if they have been filled in correctly and can give lots of information. This one gives her mother's name, spouse and children.

Here is the link for the record, there is a  Will attached as well. Just go to the next images, there are three other pages.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS7R-FWNL-C?i=1590&cat=229462

Sue
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 December 16 19:33 GMT (UK) »
thanks so much for the replies!  and sue, thank you for that link!  I don't imagine that I would have been able to find it without your help (save going the route of officially requesting the record).  That said, is there a point to requesting the record officially (e.g., will there be additional information/paperwork)?
happy holidays!
Jennifer

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 December 16 06:45 GMT (UK) »

No extra paperwork, but the Archives in Pretoria will tell you to get a researcher, I have tried twice to get information on a file from them only to be told I need a researcher to do it as they don't have the time. Cape Town Archives does their own.  The Pietermaritzburg one I have found to be quite helpful in the past.

Document ordering can be done for all the archives except Cape Town through www.eggsa.org they have a very reasonable document ordering service.

Have sent you a PM

Sue
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)