Author Topic: Newspaper Look-up Please (Death of Annie R Jude) 5 May 1948 (Lurgan Hospital)  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Hi Folks,

Hoping someone can find a Newspaper entry on the death of Annie Jude, 5 May 1948 (widow of Frederick Jude).

Annie fell from an upstairs window while cleaning it & subsequently died although I don't know the duration between fall & death?

Usual address was 5 Ballyoran Terrace, Portadown at time of death.

Buried Dundonald Cemetery.

My interest is that she was cleaning for a relative by the name of Cassie (may be Cassandra) Scott & I'm hoping this will lead to more info. (an address where the fall occurred) as I have failed to find Cassie or their relationship.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper Look-up Please (Death of Annie R Jude) 5 May 1948 (Lurgan Hospital)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
So far, can only see a 1947 death notice entry for her husband, who apparently was hit by a light engine as he walked along the railway line towards Portadown station.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper Look-up Please (Death of Annie R Jude) 5 May 1948 (Lurgan Hospital)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Now found Annie's death notice, but no mention of her accident. Does say she died at the District Hospital, Lurgan.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Could Annie's will have mentioned Cassie? Longshot, but maybe worth checking.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Annie did leave a will. Here's the probate abstract:

Jude Annie Richardson of 5 Ballyoran Terrace Portadown county Armagh widow died 5 May 1948 at Lurgan and Portadown District Hospital Lurgan Administration (with Will) (limited) Belfast 9 February to Frederick Jude electrician. Effects £140 2s. 10d.

The actual will should be held by PRONI in Belfast in paper format. They will copy it for you for a fee. You could also ask them to look to see if there was an inquest. (They would normally hold the papers for old inquests).

The death certificate should also tell you whether there was  an inquest. You can view it on the GRONI site.
Elwyn

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks scotmum & Elwyn,

Much appreciated!

I have Annie's DC but no mention of an inquest.

I also have Frederick's DC where the inquest is mentioned.

I have the newspaper entry on Sat 9th Aug 1947 (Portadown Times) about his death & mention of inquest.

Frederick (Admin. on will) was Annie's step-son, half brother to my mother & aunt.

My aunt told me about the fall from an upstairs window.

The DC says;

Acute intestinal obstruction due to adhesions due to resection of the gut for carcinoma of the colon  :-\

I don't quite understand it but wondered whether the adhesions were to do with the fall?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Cause of death appears to be cancer of the colon. Adhesions are a type of problem in the digestive system. Neither of those indicates death from a fall.
Elwyn

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Elwyn,

I was wondering about that.

Will need to ask my aunt again as she was only 14 yrs old at the time.

Is there a way I can find out about the relative who would have been living in same area?

Cassie Scott who my aunt says was a relative who I haven't been able to trace. Cassie may have been a short version of Cassandra or other? 

She may also have been related to the people who had the Dry Docks in Belfast or some connection?

I also think Scott may have been her married name so not a common name on the whole.

My aunt has trouble remembering as she was young & now in her 80's.

Annie Jude was living at:
5 Ballyoran Terrace, Portadown from at least 1941 until her death in 1948

Annie

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
You could look up Scotts in the street directories for Portadown to see if a Cassie is listed (but is likely to be under her husband’s name if she had one). The street directories post 1900 are in paper format in PRONI.

Why don’t you get PRONI to send you a copy of Annie’s will? If Cassie was a close relative she might be mentioned in the will.

I had a look for a will for Cassie/Cassandra but didn’t see one. However the abstracts are only on-line up to about 1966, so if she died after that you would need to go into PRONI to search for it.
Elwyn