Author Topic: Charles Alfred Barnes  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Margaret58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Alfred Barnes
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 January 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Lisa, that is just great you have found out all that info.
He could have come back to NZ, my grandmother never knew her father, she grew up in an orphanage and was told both her parents had died, she was told that her father was an engine driver.
Charles Barnes was born London, England 1859 his parents were Henry Barnes & Mary Hammond they arrived in New Zealand 1865. He also had brothers Henry, John & Frank and a sister Alice Mary married to David Wright. The names are all relevant his brothers and his father also were Railway workers.
Alice Hagey (nee Browning) not able to find her first marriage or her death maybe she married again after Charles.
Lots of questions and lots more research to do.
Thank you again
Copeland/Copland, Byrom, Dickinson, Ross-Ricketts, Shuttleton.

Offline Margaret58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 January 17 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa
Can you please tell me the name of the Ship, that Charles Barnes went back to San Francisco CA
in July 1913.
Thank you
Ragrds
Marg

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 January 17 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marg:

Sorry for not including the ship's name; I usually do include it.

It was the (R.M.S.) Aorangi.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Margaret58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 January 17 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Lisa appreciate it.
Regards
Marg  :)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 January 17 12:08 GMT (UK) »
There were two vessels with the name AORANGI around in 1913. Without doubt the one of concern is the ship with official number 76068. She was registered in Dunedin NZ in 1913. Started life as a steamship and later converted to a motor vessel.
Details and a couple of pic's here.
http://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?ref=6257
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Margaret58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 January 17 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your information about the "Aorangi".
Regards
Marg ; :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 January 17 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Note:  When looking for one of my ancestors, a distant relative told me that our common Irish ancestor had been married three times.  Thinking about how we have not yet found marriage records for your people, I'm wondering if "Alice" could have actually been married twice before marrying Mr. Barnes and could she have been "forgetful" about her true age and the fact that she had only been married once prior to her marriage to Charles Barnes).

I've been trying to figure out if it was Grace or Alice who married Mr. Barnes.  I cannot yet eliminate either one as not marrying him.  Have you tried to trace both girls' lives (who they both may have married and stayed with until death)?  Unfortunately, Browning isn't an unusual name, so research is proving to be difficult.

I may be very incorrect, but I'm leaning toward Alice (possibly Alice Virginia?), who was the older sister, being the one who married a man named Henry/Harry Abbate in 1883 and eventually possibly marrying Charles Barnes.  While an Alice V Browning DID marry a man named Henry Abbate in Multnomah County, Oregon, there is nothing (yet) to show that she was your Alice.

In 1883 (if I have the correct family), Alice is not living with the Brownings.

An Alice V Browning is in the 1900 Seattle, Washington Directory, shown as "wid Harry", milliner, res 614 1/2 2d av.  I have not yet found this lady anywhere else.  Could she have married a Mr. H/Kagey after her marriage to Mr. Abbate?

I did look at a Henry Abbate's movements and if this man was the same as above, he eventually remarried.  Briefly (I've not double-checked the facts):
Henry/Harry Abbate was born cJune 1855 Palermo, Italy.  He joined the U.S. Army, twice I believe, the second time enlisting in San Francisco in 1877 - he was discharged January 5, 1882.  Later in life, he was a barber.  The 1900 San Francisco census states that he had been married for five years; his wife was Katie who was born in Denmark.  He was living in Grass Valley, California during the 1920 census.

I have not yet been able to determine if the man that Alice V. Browning married was the same man as above.  If so, she could have told people in 1900 that she was widowed.   :-\

But, perhaps you've already researched Mr. Abbate?

Note:  I've been trying to sum up the facts while family members have been talking - I hope the above makes sense.  :-[
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 January 17 04:33 GMT (UK) »
A Grace Browning married a George Cothrel(l) in 1890 in Multnomah County Oregon.  I found a brief mention of her death in 1900, stating she was age 31.  However, her headstone shows the birth date of 25-November-1879, so she couldn't be your Grace.
http://oregonnews.uoregon.edu/lccn/sn83025138/1900-05-30/ed-1/seq-10/ocr/
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=35495888&PIpi=42363688

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 January 17 05:12 GMT (UK) »
In case you don't have this information:
1918 Seattle, WA Directory
Chas A (Alice V) Barnes, eng  h AA-2803 1/2 Jackson