Author Topic: Chocolate and Biscuit factories in Glasgow in 1919  (Read 5659 times)

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chocolate and Biscuit factories in Glasgow in 1919
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 January 17 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica,

Because the lady whom I am doing the research for. She said that it was definately McVities for the biscuit factory where she worked. Thanks for the links. 

Wilton Endeavour.
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 January 17 20:22 GMT (UK) »

Looks like a needle in a haystack situation? Wilton, I think you've as much chance of discovering this as you have in finding the knife used to cut your grannie's umbilical.  ;D

:D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 January 17 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Still can't see an earlier reference to McVitie operating in Glasgow around 1920 unfortunately.

From the Slater Trade Directories in 1915:

Bakers https://archive.org/stream/slatersroyalnati1915dire#page/516/mode/2up
Biscuit Manufacturers https://archive.org/stream/slatersroyalnati1915dire#page/520/mode/2up
Chocolate Manufacturers https://archive.org/stream/slatersroyalnati1915dire#page/534/mode/2up
Confectioners Wholesale and Manufacturers https://archive.org/stream/slatersroyalnati1915dire#page/540/mode/2up

I cannot see an earlier mention to McVitie in Glasgow except for the connection to MacFarlane Lang and Co www.gracesguide.co.uk/Macfarlane,_Lang_and_Co and www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSA05084

Great film clip from 1928 here http://clanmacfarlane.org.au/macfarlane-lang-co-s-biscuit-making-1928/

Some further details on McVitie here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McVitie's

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 January 17 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a needle in a haystack situation? Wilton, I think you've as much chance of discovering this as you have in finding the knife used to cut your grannie's umbilical.  ;D

Skoosh, I nearly choked when I read that.....that takes the 'biscuit'...GSOH  ;)

Will Endeavour :), according to this, I don't think it was McV's.....

http://www.mcvities.co.uk/about

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline TetleyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 February 21 08:04 GMT (UK) »
MoniaL, it has been a while since you posted but the links were very useful.  My great grandfather was a worker in a biscuit factory in Glasgow.  For some reason, I imagined maybe on an assembly type line stamping cookies.  It was only recently when a 1919 birth certificate for his youngest child became available that I saw he was listed as a baker-journeyman.  Then in two directories which I have since dug up, I found him listed as a baker.  I wanted to see where he might have been a baker at a biscuit factory.  I did some Googling and this tread turned up with the links.  I was interested to look at the listings on your links and find an old map of Glasgow to see what might have been near the address he lived at for many years.  I wondered if I might narrow it down this way.  To my surprise the first biscuit manufacturer was Adelphi Biscuit Factory located on Adelphi Street.  My great grandfather lived on Adelphi at an address which would have been in close proximity to the biscuit factory address for many years.  So, thank you for that link which turned up a most promising lead.

Biscuit Makers www.archive.org/stream/postofficeannual191112gla#page/1098/mode/2up

TetleyT

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 February 21 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi TetleyT

Really pleased that the links have been of use to you  :)

There is some material on the Adelphi Biscuit Factory to gather such as:

http://glasgowwestaddress.co.uk/1891_Book/McCall_&_Stephen.htm

www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSA00167&t=2 and https://canmore.org.uk/site/160704/glasgow-14-18-adelphi-terrace-adelphi-biscuit-factory  I think the etching referred to on Canmore collections tab is likely the one showing on The Glasgow Story?

I see mention also of another large scale bakery where part of the factory was also on Adelphi Street:

...These bricks were recovered from the United Co-operative Baking Society biscuit factory, McNeil Street, Hutchesontown, Glasgow. It occupied the block encompassing McNeil Street, Ballater Street, Adelphi Street and Moffat Street. These particular bricks were from the facade in Adelphi  Street and date from c.1908.
www.scottishbrickhistory.co.uk/united-co-operative-bakery-society-factory-mcneil-street-glasgow/

There is also a long post on them on the 'Old Glasgow' group on Facebook here www.facebook.com/251032471675283/posts/extracts-taken-from-the-rare-books-collection-history-of-the-united-co-operative/949041628541027/ (you don't have to log on or anything to just have a read through). It is an interesting read on the world of commercial baking at that time.

So, looks like your g grandad had choices of where to work very near to home  ;)

It is always more interesting to add to your research in the way you are doing. Enjoy  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TetleyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 February 21 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Oh, thank you!  That is much appreciated. 

Since you have to buy Scotland's People documents individually, I plan carefully for my purchases and usually prioritize my direct line.  However, I have bought some of my grandfather's siblings recently, knowing each might contain more information on my great grandfather. 

The family seemed to move such that each child was born in a different location within the Glasgow area.  My great grandfather's occupation changed over time, too.  I have found that his occupation was first listed as a woodyard labourer or wood sawyer.  Then he was a warehouse labourer.  The next document listed him as a biscuit factory worker.  There was a six year gap before the next child was born  By then (1919 - when my great aunt was born) my great grandfather was living on Adelphi and was listed as a baker-jouneyman.  To be a journeyman, I can probably guess he had moved to do learn this trade sometime in that six year gap. That child's birth certificate also showed his rank in the military.  This was the first time I had been aware he served in the military.  But I noticed in one of the links you sent there was information about the men of the bakery doing military service, so that fit together. 

I have a postcard sent from France, from the daughter born 1919, addressed to my great grandfather at the same place on Adelphi.  The postcard was sent in 1939.  I found a directory for around that time where my great grandfather was listed as a baker.  So, I know he lived at the same address near the bakery (and other bakeries) for 20 years and worked as a baker for that duration. 

My great grandmother is said to have abandoned the family, possibly to pursue a life on stage.  The daughter born 1919 was in Paris because she had trained as a dancer and was at the
Folies Bergère.  I had wondered initially how a woodyard labourer had paid for all the dance lessons.   Then when I found he became a baker, I wondered what sort of bakery company would be able to employ a man for over 20 years, allow him time for military services, and pay a steady enough wage for him to pay for dance lessons.  (I wonder who cared for the children while he did military service.)  In any case, going through the links has given me a much better sense of how these pieces of my grandfather's life may have fit together.

I do like each person on the tree to be more than just a name and date.  Understanding these sorts of details about the context of their lives really helps fill out the picture. 

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 February 21 04:21 GMT (UK) »
From online websites it seems the MacFarlane Lang Biscuit factory owners gave large sums of money to charities and funded hospitals.  I suspect they were one of the benevolent companies that catered to their workers good health and well being.  People who worked for companies like that didn't have to pay doctor's fees as their employer usually employed a doctor and nurses to work in the sick bay. 

You mentioned dancing:  My grandfather worked for a large English benevolent company and his daughters learnt to swim and dance (Grecian dancing !! )  at the company's facilities. I think it may also  have been likely that the biscuit company held dance classes.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline TetleyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 February 21 07:34 GMT (UK) »
You mentioned dancing:  My grandfather worked for a large English benevolent company and his daughters learnt to swim and dance (Grecian dancing !! )  at the company's facilities. I think it may also  have been likely that the biscuit company held dance classes.

Well, that is a very interesting and completely new idea to me. Working on some pictures with a relative, we began to suspect maybe two siblings also took some lessons. This would make sense then.  I must see what I can dig up on what some of the companies close to their home had available.  All this really helps explain how this family, who I do not think were particularly well-off, seemed to fare better than some other ancestor lines.  I have a whole different possible perspective on the work life of this great grandfather now.