Author Topic: Help required to find shipping record of Lamprey family - Ireland to Australia  (Read 939 times)

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I noticed the great success Debra(Trees) had so thought I would also post my 'missing' shipping passengers in case some clues surface that I haven't explored

Christopher Lamprey (born ?)  and his wife Ellen (born 1821) and children - Richard (1847), Harriet (1849), William(1851), Henry (1852), George (1854)

Arrived in Australia sometime after October 1854 and before May 1856 - these dates are based on a baptism in Ireland (George 1854) and then a burial (Richard 1856) in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia  .................. thanks Alison

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help required to find shipping record of Lamprey family - Ireland to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 17 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi howe02
Alison -- There are 10 newspaper articles on Christopher Lamprey all published between 1880-1889.
These are free to view on Trove (National Library of Australia site) which contains Australian Newspapers.

You may have seen them already. But if not you should read them and download them yourself.  They are free.

There do not appear to be any articles in any other time period for him.
A complicating factor is that Lamprey is a type of eel so a search just on the surname turns up thousand of articles.

I hope this may be a start for you.

Regards
phenolphthalein

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help required to find shipping record of Lamprey family - Ireland to Australia
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 17 02:19 GMT (UK) »
howe02 would you please make a new topic with your request.  Perhaps you could ask a moderator to split it from Trees' request for assistance. Topic split off & merged with new topic.

Trees....from the Biographical Index of South Australians - an excellent resource but not always 100% accurate. There are omissions.  Resources were not so readily available in 1986 when the resource was compiled that are available today.  This appears to be a submitted entry.

SECOMB Josiah, parents James and Mary, born 1820 Cornwall and died 1897 Mitcham SA.
Arrived on the TROUBADOUR 1850.
Occupation Storekeeper at Kadina, Mitcham.  Religion Methodist.
Married 1845 St Mawgan, Cornwall, Mary nee EDWARDS.
Children - John Henry 1847-1853, Rachel 1851-1852, John Henry 1857-, Rachel Edwards -1859, Rachel TYLER 1863-1949, Lilian VAWSER 1864-1846.

Arrival
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1850Troubadour.gif

A Josiah Secombe and Mary Edwards with John Hy and Rachel arrived in SA on the "Troubadour" .....
    Gerry

Whoever submitted this to the database has it wrong.  There are two SECCOMBE/EDWARDS births registered in the Helston district, Cornwall, John Henry in 1847 and Mary Jane in 1849.  Rachael's birth was registered in SA in 1851.  John and Rachael both died as infants, as did the second child they named Rachael.

Deb

This is the daughter Mary Jane's death
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article110379667
Wallaroo Times  7 Jun 1882
DEATH.
JOHNSTON.—On the 5th of June, 1882, at the residence of her father, Mr Josiah Secombe, Taylor Street, Kadina, Mary Jane, relect (sic) of the late Mr Andrew Johnston, Kadina.

Birth - this one in the District of The Murray
SECOMBE Rachel
22 Jun 1851
Father Josiah SECOMBE  Mother Mary EDWARDS
Birth Place not recorded    TMu 6/345

Death
SECCOMB Rachel  10 months  Status Child  Relative Josiah SECCOMB [Father]
24 Apr 1852
Residence Adelaide   Death Place not recorded   Ade 2/134

John Henry and Rachel Edwards are buried at West Terrace Cemetery.
http://www.aca.sa.gov.au/Records

There are a number of unclaimed letters for both Josiah and Mary SECOMBE in the SA newspapers to 1854.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 17 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Cando - sorry, yes I will make another post - not sure what you meant by 'moderator to split it from Trees' request', anyhow the new post will sort it out, thanks ....... Alison

Topic split off & merged with new topic.

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 17 04:59 GMT (UK) »
I noticed the great success Debra had so thought I would also post my 'missing' shipping passengers in case some clues surface that I haven't explored

Christopher Lamprey (born ?)  and his wife Ellen (born 1821) and children - Richard (1847), Harriet (1849), William(1851), Henry (1852), George (1854)

Arrived in Australia sometime after October 1854 and before May 1856 - these dates are based on a baptism in Ireland (George 1854) and then a burial (Richard 1856) in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia  .................. thanks Alison

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 January 17 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Don't know where you searched for them  ???

They appear on the Victorian unassisted passenger lists at PROV  :D
http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=23

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j6o/

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 17 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Merlin - WOW   I have searched PROV and just did it again with your link and got a message that there were no results          Then I clicked on your other link and WOW there they were   Thankyou so much, have been looking for sometime    Just as well I finally asked for help, thankyou again, sincerely appreciate your time .......  Alison

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 17 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Also listed on the manifest alongside Ellen is an unnamed infant who is probably George.  Christopher is a Labourer and they are all Irish, contracted to land at Melbourne.  There is no further information recorded.

Debra  :D

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 January 17 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Merlin and Debra - the family are listed under the name of Laughrey - I marvel how Merlin has great search skills as the name should be Lamprey, once again thanks ......... Alison