Author Topic: Thomas Boswell m Mary Whitley 1812  (Read 1663 times)

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Boswell m Mary Whitley 1812
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Odessa,
I forgot to comment on whether any of Thomas & Mary's children were bap at St Helen's, Witton & I went through them all again last night & none were.  Also I found Alice the 12th one wasn't theirs but their son William's & his wife.  William was 21 by the time Alice was born.
Thanks, Amberly
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 13:12 GMT (UK) »
A Thomas Betwesell son of Thomas & Rachel of Kelsall was baptised 30 AUG 1780 at Tarvin.

You can see it on Familysearch and/or if you use any of the other subscription search sites. FindMyPast will give you the original entry.

Hope this helps,
odessa.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Amberly,

There's a marriage that may be worth considering, again at Tarvin, 25 APR 1773 Thomas Betwizel to Rachel Firat/Sirat.

There's also baptisms for 2 more children to this couple. I wonder if the name has corrupted over several generations, as it appears that neither the bride or groom could sign their names. My thoughts that Betwizel, could have been the more familiar Birtwisle, well known in Cheshire, and I believe could quite easily have been corrupted into Boswell - but that's for you to ponder.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Odessa,
Thank you so much for these 2 replies.    It's certainly given me food for thought here on the spelling of both the surnames.  I've looked very closely at her surname & it could be an S or an F.  I looked at the letter F for the name Frodsham on the following page & it certainly could have been an F. 
I haven't had time to do any more as the phone keeps ringing, so after lunch I shall come back to it all.
You'll hear from me eventually, & thanks again.
Amberly
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 January 17 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Well, Odessa, I'm slowly but surely coming to the conclusion that these are my rellies!
I found 5 children in all & then proceeded to look up those surnames with their weird spellings in Cheshire & could find no more!   Then I looked up all the kids with the surnames I'd found for marriages. Nothing! Then I started on marriages & called them all Birtwisle, no luck!   Then I tried them all with Boswell surnames & found marriages for all.  Bingo!   I'm still not 100% sure but it seems pretty likely that they are mine!
Now as for Rachel I can find nothing for Sirat or Firat but there are loads of Sarrat & Sarrett, & Ferret & Fearrett but NO Rachels.   She's a mystery.   But I have the same problem with my gt x 5 paternal grandmother.  We've come to a brick wall with her name & can go no further.   
This family tree stuff can get pretty frustrating! 
Anyway I don't really think I can go any further with this lot!
Thanks for all your help.  Amberly.

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 January 17 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
on further pondering I do wonder if he married a Ruth or a Rachel as none of their offspring or descendants ever used either name for their children, which is odd I think???    Not sure whether I'll actually add them to the tree or not??!!
Anyway thanks very much for your help.
Amberly.