Author Topic: Looking for the DECENDANTS of the OLIVER FAMILY inverness scotland  (Read 1212 times)

Offline DevorahOliver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for the DECENDANTS of the OLIVER FAMILY inverness scotland
« on: Tuesday 03 January 17 05:08 GMT (UK) »
hey there
Looking for the descendants of Andrew Oliver he married a jane Burnett and  his  3 sons all from inverness:

Robert S Oliver born around 1850 have no record of what happen to him or if he has an extended family but i think he has a son ?

Duncan S Oliver born around 1857 have no record of what happen to him or if he has an extended family - i do believe he was a sea captain and well known in inverness  community when he was still  living he was survived by a nephew c.e Oliver at ness bank couldn't find info on him

Alexander B Oliver I have all the info on this individual  - my great great great grandfather

UPDATE: there was also a 4th son born June 20th 1963  named Andrew Oliver I only found his birth certificate and a census of him when he was 7 but nothing further more !? Not sure what happened to him 

i have attached some info aswell that maybe can give a clue if there is a connection
if you are related to these people please contact me

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the DECENDANTS of the OLIVER FAMILY inverness scotland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

What date was that first Newspaper item ?
That should give you the enough information for a death certificate.

There is a death for a Duncan Stewart Oliver in 1891 Inverness , age 79.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline DevorahOliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes the newspaper was 1891

Offline DevorahOliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info I'm hoping to find anyone who down the line is related to them

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps that Robert Stewart Oliver was a brother of Andrew Oliver(with the 3 sons).  :-\

Alexander B Oliver - my great great great grandfather
Were the parents of your Alexander B Oliver , Andrew Oliver and Jane Burnett ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi and a welcome from me too

There seem to be a number of wills for the people you are looking for

Andrew Oliver d 12 Aug 1881 Inverness

Duncan Stewart 5 Nov 1891 Caledonian Hotel Inverness (Think he is the Duncan in your newspaper extract)

Robert Stewart Oliver 14 Sept 1900 at 19 Ness Bank Inverness intestate - confirmation granted to Jane Oliver his mother.

Jane Oliver 4 July 1908 at 19 Ness Bank - Executors include Duncan Stewart Oliver of 204 Mergallina Naples Italy .

Hope this helps

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 09:44 GMT (UK) »
There is a profile of Robert Stewart Oliver in Graces Guide (good old google - just enter his name and Inverness).

He was born on the 8th July 1849, son of Mr Andrew Olver,a well known agriculturalist in Stratherrck in his time.

He did an apprenticeship of four years with William Patterson, engineer and land surveyor Inverness. In 1871 he joined the Highland Railway Company and was involved as engineer in , for example, the construction of te Sutherland and Caithness Railway and the completion of the Aviemore line.

In 1899 he purchased the estate of Raddery in the Black Isle, Ross-shire and at the time of his death was involved in improving that property.

Further to this he is shown at Ness  Bank with his mother in the 1891  census - occupation civil engineer and unmarried - no evidence of a son (but that does not mean there wasn't one!).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline DevorahOliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 10:50 GMT (UK) »
No andrew Oliver was the father of Robert,Alexander and Duncan

Yes, Andrew Oliver married a Jane Burnett

Millmoor thank you for that info I am going to look into it some more I do believe Duncan had no children but nephew at ness bank c.e Oliver at the time of his death