Author Topic: So excited!  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: So excited!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Apparently I can take photos, I just need to sign their form first. Copyright is not an issue because the documents are so old.

I'm wondering whether to take any gloves? I have non-latex medical grade gloves -- what do you think?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I'd think they'd provide them if needed, but they shouldn't weigh you down too much  :)
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Lucky you Annie, very interesting!

Don't forget some sandwiches/snacks & a drink as you could be there for a duration.

I'm just curious how you found out about the 'donation' to the library of your family docs?

Have a great day  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 22:55 GMT (UK) »

I'm just curious how you found out about the 'donation' to the library of your family docs?

Luck as much as anything! I'm lucky to have had a few "worthies" in my tree and that is good luck from a genealogical point of view because I've found quite a lot of stuff on wikipedia etc. I simply google names!

This is the collection:
http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/search-resources/guide-to-special-collections/atoz/bellot-papers/

and according to the website features correspondence between various branches of the family including Bellot and Hale. Now my avatar is a portrait of Jane Bellot nee Hale, her sis was my ancestor, so I am crossing my fingers that Jane was in the habit of writing back home to Mum after her marriage  ;)

Mind you, it's not just "worthies" that are worth a google. To my astonishment, I once found a handwritten copy of a different part of my tree kept in the National Archives, following a contested will in 1910! And that was the branch of family in and out of the workhouse, asylum etc -- the contested estate was only worth £80 -- If you have any even slightly unusual or distinctive names in your tree, I'd always recommend searching even where you don't expect to find stuff.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Annie,

The reason I was interested is, I have a genealogy friend who's relative had a portrait done by a known artist & he's trying to track it down or at least a copy & I noticed you had mentioned same.

He has googled everything in conjunction with the surname but has found nothing re the portrait so I sent him a link to this topic so he could read your post.

He is going to New Register House at some point so hopefully might discover what you have.

Thanks for sharing.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Aw Annie....what a great find for you and to know that your persistence has brought such fantastic results  :D  I am thrilled to bits for you and so pleased that you shared it with us....I wish I could be a fly on the wall to see your reaction.
You go girl and fill your boots  ;D  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Take an extra memory stick for the camera, to ensure you have enough memory to take all the pictures you will want to, as well as a spare battery ;D ;D

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 00:26 GMT (UK) »
.....and.....let us know how it went.

I'm gob-smacked with the thought of you going through 17 boxes   :o

So far I've been happy to just find a single letter tucked away  ;)

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley