Author Topic: Place name in Glenmuick  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Place name in Glenmuick
« on: Thursday 05 January 17 07:32 GMT (UK) »
I suppose this my biggest problem yet - A marriage certificate - we have a William Shaw usual address Tomintoul and Mary Laing usual address Banchory marrying somewhere in Glenmuick - Ballater - 27th Oct 1875 -????? - Glengairn in Glenmuick - any ideas as to the at?  - More so my problem carrys on as neither are from that area at the time of the marriage - William is born Tomintoul and Mary is born Banchory - William is 34 and a Shepherd and Mary is 21 and a servant - but as to how they both ended up in Glenmuick together I have no idea - but just to make life easier they both end up in Keig where they have their last child - James - Born 1892 - my great grandfather - so just how many children did they had between 1875 and 1892 - and where - no idea - William was actually born in 1839 - but all census's and marriage show up as Williams birth as 1841 - no big problem I hear you say - but as there is actually a few Williams and Alexs residing in Tomintoul all around that time - I would not like to find there has been a bit of a mix up in finding there may more that one Alex Shaw who married a Isobel Mcintosh in the Tomintoul area - who are Williams parents as this could deflect my true linage - this is quite important as I can already see from what may be my William Shaw's of Delachule who was born 1770 and married Ephy Grant of Findon - Tomintoul in 1795 his father William Shaw who married a Isobel Mcintosh from Croy and Dalcross that the Rev Lachlan Shaw may well be correct that we are from the great linage originating from Shaw Macduff son of Duncan the 5th of Fife and who took on the Mcintosh name and the rest is history  8) and Yes sorry to my Grandma Eleanor Manson Johnson who has her own great history back to the Orkney Isles and beyond the water and to my Grandpa Donald I should have listened better as a child - love you both x X x

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Place name in Glenmuick
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 17 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Could it be a version of Candacraig written as Candy craig?

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 17 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Agree - there is a chapel there
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j7g/

Kay

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 January 17 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Could it be a version of Candacraig written as Candy craig?

Mo
Brilliant Mo - many thanks  :)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 January 17 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Indiana.59,
On this map:
http://www.scottish-places.info/parishes/parmap488.html
a farm called Candacraig, below Hill of Candacraig, is about 3 miles NNW of Ballater on the NE bank of the Gairn River (within Glen Gairn). The Hill of Candacraig - but not the farm - shows on modern OS maps. Ballater appears to be almost exactly halfway between Tomintoul and Banchory - about 20 miles as the crow flies NNW from Ballater to Tomintoul and about 20 miles east from Ballater to Banchory.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 January 17 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Agree - there is a chapel there
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j7g/

Kay
Wow you're super brill on the links Kay99 - found these births but in Banchory there more than one William Shaw and Mary Laing in the Banchory area - b: Mary 1874 - Banchory - b: William 1877 - Skene - b: Donald 1880 - Banchory - then there's a gap that I am not comfortable with - James in 1892 - Keig - it's a gap of 12 years there - James was different from the rest of the Shaw's as he seemed to have worked with horses - not sheep like the rest of the family - there is even a William Shaw and a Mary Laing in Banchory cemetery - but as the death of that William is 1833 - you can see my problem - but the same marriage date and place are written on James birth certificate - Candy Craig seems more of a place you elope to - to get wed - why go to Glenmuick to get wed after the birth of your first child in Banchory?  - Time for a cup of tea and a good think - cheers me dears  ::)

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 January 17 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Fully agree on Candy Craig / Candacraig - Billy Connolly used to own the large house there!

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 January 17 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Fully agree on Candy Craig / Candacraig - Billy Connolly used to own the large house there!
- Nice to know - off to have a quick peep at Connolly old hoose then - cheers for that one -  ::)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 January 17 13:46 GMT (UK) »
- Nice to know - off to have a n
quick peep at Connolly old hoose then - cheers for that one -  ::)
What - sold for 3 million - can't be bad  :o