Author Topic: Missing spouses for Haycock/Heacock males Wolverhampton/Wheaton Aston  (Read 1939 times)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
Missing spouses for Haycock/Heacock males Wolverhampton/Wheaton Aston
« on: Thursday 05 January 17 21:37 GMT (UK) »
It's been a while since I've been on the forum, but as I'm still struggling with my infamous Haycock ancestors, I'd like to engage your help again. I'm looking for the spouses of the following persons:

1.John Haycock (AKA Haywek, Acock in different cenus takings); blacksmith
born 1813-1816 Oswestry (no baptism records found); buried 24-02-1876 Wolverhampton
married (1) 1850 to Susan(nah) Dixon/Dickson (1817-1860); 9 children
MISSING SPOUSE (relation): Maria (Whitehead/Whitehouse acc. to family), mother of George (24 Dec. 1862; there is a BMD registration for a George Whitehouse 1st qrt of 1863)

2. John Haycock (AKA Heycock, Heacock); father of #1; agricultural laborer/gardener
baptized 30-12-1781 Lapley; buried 25-04-1858 Wolverhampton
married (2) 1839 to Sarah Woodward (born Carter); no issue
MISSING SPOUSE (relation): NN, mother of John (1813-1816)

3. Thomas Heacock; father of #2; bricklayer
birth & death unknown
MISSING SPOUSE (relation): Elizabeth NN, mother of John (1781).

John #1 can be found in the 1841 thru 1871 census Wolverhampton; all state he was born in Oswestry. John #2 can be found in the 1851 census Wolverhampton with 2nd wife Sarah.

There's a Thomas Heacock who is a 'victualler' at "Gate" in Wheaton Aston mentioned on page 221 in the Staffordshire General & Commercial Directory, Part 3, (1818). This could be #3, or his son Thomas Heacock (bapt. 1778 Lapley), brother to #2 John.

Any information, suggestions etc are - as usual - very welcome. I still find it amazing that, apparently, I am the only one researching this particular family, as I cannot find any results from other researches online.

Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing spouses for Haycock/Heacock males Wolverhampton/Wheaton Aston
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 17 22:51 GMT (UK) »
there is a BMD registration for a George Whitehouse 1st qrt of 1863

According to the GRO online index, the mother's maiden name for George WHITEHOUSE (birth registered Q1 1863, Wolverhampton) was FAIZEY.
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 17 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear  :'( :'(

And here I thought maybe, possibly, perchance I had finally found something to cling to ...
It's like this whole family sits watching me from above, smirking while I run around in circles.

Anyway ... thank you very much in any case for taking the trouble  :)
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 17 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a marriage for Thomas worth considering three miles from Lapley in Brewood

Thomas HEAKCOCK (as written in register) and Elizabeth PARNELL were married after Banns 9 August 1773

He signed as Thomas HEACOCK, she left her mark (X)
Witnesses: John Groves (X) and John Simpson ( probable church official ~ witnessed other marriages)

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 17 00:43 GMT (UK) »

There is a burial of a THOMAS HEACOCK at Lapley, All Saints, Staffordshire on 27 June 1832 aged 53.

Additional info gives his abode as Wheaton Aston, this maybe the brother of John.

claire

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 17 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire  :)

That does look promising indeed!

I'm trying to tie my generation to a Thomas Heacock and his wife Margaret, mentioned in papers regarding the Scutt trust in Lapley/Wheaton Aston. They baptize 9 children between 1730 and 1751 (Johannes, Maria, Anne, Edward, William, Joseph, Margaret, Richard and George), but according to those same papers also had an eldest(!) son Thomas. Can't find his baptism in Lapley though. Those names also pop up with John #2's brother Thomas. Coincidence? I think not.

I do believe the 1832 burial is for John #2's brother, the age is correct. His widow Elizabeth (Robinson) is mentioned in the 1841 census I think.

Thank you for that!

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 January 17 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I am related to your haycock family. elizabeth farnell who married thomas haycock from wheaton aston is my fifth great grandmother thomas haycock died about 1785 she remarryed my fifth great grandfather joseph foster in 1786. she died in 1832 aged 82 ive been to her grave in lapley shes buryied with son thomas died same year. her daughter susannah foster marryed my fourth great grandfather benjamin peake in 1813. 1851 census john haycock born wheaton asyon 1781 living in steelhouse lane whampton has lodger joseph peake born wheaton aston son of benjamin peake and susannah foster and caroline whittaer josephs future wife my third great grandparents

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 January 17 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Oh my!

That means we're (probably) related through Elizabeth, as it looks like she's my 5x gr.grandmother as well  ;)  And her grave still exists?! Wow! Almost all graves here in The Netherlands are cleared after a set period of time if people don't pay for them. And even then only a few predating 1800 remain.

I always did try to find a connection between John Haycock and the Joseph Peake in the 1851 census, as I had found links between apparent unrelated persons in census takings in other family branches.

Thank you for that information!

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 January 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »

Given Thomas and Margaret marry by licence in 1725, there is enough time for a couple of children to be born.

The licence mentions Thomas was from Albrighton, perhaps baptisms maybe there, although I have looked I can't see anything.