Author Topic: Gilmerton, near Edinburgh  (Read 5888 times)

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gilmerton, near Edinburgh
« Reply #27 on: Monday 09 January 17 18:14 GMT (UK) »

Oh thank you Sandra my happy hunting ground .

suzilad :)

Offline bullzeye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 March 17 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Belated reply. Just confiming that James BLACKWOOD Mitchell  was my grandfather.
John Charles Mitchell and George Blackwood Mitchell were his older and younger brother respectively.
has anyone any details of George Blackwood. he was a mechanical engineer and served through
WW 1 with the Oxford and Bucks  . HE survived and married in Aberdeen after the war but I have no further information of him or his family.
Best regards, Bullzeye
BLACKWOOD (Ayrshire)
Mitchell , Edinburgh
Mitchell ,Forfar
Wood, Forfar

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 March 17 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi bullzeye,

On Scotland Peoples website, https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, I found the marriage of George Blackwood Mitchell to an Elizabeth Clark or Paterson in St Nicholas, Aberdeen in 1920, however, in 1921 there is a death of a George Blackwood Mitchell in Ayr, aged 39, certificate 578/1 421. Not sure if he is yours, but it ties in with his year of birth 1882.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 05 March 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bullzeye,

Got a stroke of luck, looked up "The Scotsman, Edinburgh, Scotland 05 Oct 1921" and there is an article, " Gilmerton. Mans Fatal Injuries in Motor Accident". It states that a George Mitchell, motor mechanic, of Cassilis Road, Maybole died 04 Oct 1921, as a result of a motor cycle accident on Howmoor, Maybole. It states his father was Charles Mitchell, Fernieside Lodge, Gilmerton and had taken up residence in Maybole recently, he left a widow and 2 children.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline bullzeye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 March 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Tom,
Thank you for your research. This is a brilliant result.
I had heard somewhere of a motor cycle accident in the family but there was no name given.
my father and uncle never talked about George Blackwood Mitchell and When I was doing research he seemed to disappear after the age of 17 until Ifound his army details and then his marriage in Aberdeen.
The Blackwood family originally came from New Cumnock in Ayrshire so I wonder whether he caught up with the old folk when he returned.
THe two children  I think may be from his wife's previous marriage.

Many ,many thanks  Tom for this breakthrough....I'm pretty sure I would have struggled without your help.
All Best regards, Angus
BLACKWOOD (Ayrshire)
Mitchell , Edinburgh
Mitchell ,Forfar
Wood, Forfar

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 05 March 17 20:53 GMT (UK) »

That's great news for you bullzeye  I hope your  find everything you are looking for at NRH  when you visit.

I wonder Fernieside Lodge would on the Ferniehill Road  -- it was a big estate until the late 1940's early 50's when they started building local council houses.
There was a nice  lodge house which was turned into a public house called Ferniehill Inn or known locally as "The Eagles "  as there were iron gates with eagles above them wonder if this was it .
Unfortunately it was knocked down a few years ago and houses erected on the site

suzilad

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 06 March 17 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Fernieside lodge is shown on this 1890s Ordnance Survey map.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400788

To find it: Liberton Parish is yellow-ish coloured parish to the south-east of the City of Edinburgh Parish (pink). Fernieside Lodge can be found not far from Liberton Parish's boundary with Newton Parish (light blue).

In today's terms, I reckon that places it near the corner of Fernieside Drive and Moredun Park Road. See  the following street map.

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=329366&y=669495&z=110&sv=329366,669495&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=818&ax=329366&ay=669495&lm=0

Then see the old walls and building in Fernieside Drive on street view of Google Maps.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9136089,-3.1322725,3a,75y,86.09h,77.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ3MOoTeV13fqsGnNnaTWFA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The 1894 25" Ordnance Survey map shows Fernieside Lodge in much more detail (top centre of the map). You see the gateway and gatehouse as shown on Google Maps streetview above.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/82878012

The 1932 25" Ordnance Survey map shows the "big house" as Fernieside House.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/82878021

The City of Edinburgh Council website refers to the house being demolished in the 1950s, and this part being set out as a public park.

ADP

Offline bullzeye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 06 March 17 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all the information. The maps are a great help and I really appreciate the time and effort you have put into to helping me with my research. I am coming up to Edinburgh next week to have a walk around Gilmerton and will use your maps as a guide.
Thank you again.
Bullzeye
BLACKWOOD (Ayrshire)
Mitchell , Edinburgh
Mitchell ,Forfar
Wood, Forfar