Author Topic: Gilmerton, near Edinburgh  (Read 5883 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Gilmerton, near Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 January 17 15:17 GMT (UK) »
It may well be that Sundial Cottage is Hudson Cottage, but you cannot be sure of that.

Have you got them in any of the census? And have you looked at the originals of the census to see what the addresses of the neighbours were? Is Hudson Cottage also listed? Because if so it obviously isn't Sundial Cottage.

Have you looked at the Valuation Rolls? I don't see a house called Sundial Cottage, but you might recognise the name of one of your Mitchells. The original will tell you what street (if any) Sundial Cottage is/was in.

This map http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.9044&lon=-3.1334&layers=168&b=1 was surveyed in 1893. Were your Mitchells in Sundial Cottage in the 1891 census and/or 1895 Valuation Roll?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 January 17 15:28 GMT (UK) »

Hudson Cottage is on the Gilmerton Road practically next door to the Robin's Nest Public House it many years ago had a sundial above the gate and backs on to Liberton Golf Course .

The Mitchells had the Mechanic Arms in the early 1900's as I recall my grandmother remembered Violet's grandmother from then.

suzilad

Offline bullzeye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 January 17 17:37 GMT (UK) »
To fill in a bit of my Mitchell family in Gilmerton. My grest grandfather Charles Mitchell and his wife Janet (nee Blackwood ) lived in Ferniehill.
My Grand father  was James Blackwood Mitchell,born1878 in liberton,
His elder brother was John Charles Mitchell born1871 in Newton
His younger brother George Blackwood Mitchell born 1882
His sisters were Isabella Taylor M born 1873
E Watt Peebles Mitchellborn 1875
Jane Anderson Mitchell born 1880
[Sundial ]was the house that my Grand aunt (widow of John Charles who  was a surgeon in Egypt and then South Africa ) He died in Africa  and his family returned to Gilmerton in the 1920s.
They returned to Rhodesia after several years and their houses out there were always called SUNDIAL.

I visited Gilmerton about 10 years ago and visited Sundial . We stopped at the post offic and one of the postmen directed us . I think it was a road off the main road opposite the Post office along about 50 yards on the left near  right angled corner and opposite an office building /buiders yard.

If I remember correctly it had a double bay window on the ground floor and the name Sundial on the glass panel above the front door.
I've tried street view but no success yet.
Can anyone help please to locate it and are there any other Blackwood Mitchell relative still in the village.

I look forward to reading any information you can provide.
Thank you . Happy New Year.
BLACKWOOD (Ayrshire)
Mitchell , Edinburgh
Mitchell ,Forfar
Wood, Forfar

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 January 17 18:30 GMT (UK) »

Hi bullzeye,
                The house I am thinking of is at 89 Ravenscroft Street  Gilmerton . The main street you are thinking of is Drum Street if you are heading south out of Edinburgh  Ravenscroft Street or Main Street as it was is on the right . The church was on the right and further up on left post office office.
As you get to the top of the street there is a farm on the left  and a   lane known locally as "The Middle Strip " this took the miners down to the local pit known as "The Brosey " straight ahead is a dead end -- on the right is Westland Cottages and right opposite is Sundial .
Ferniehill was a big estate at one time now there are lots of houses built on it.
Can't think of  any Mitchells who might be connected to you but will get back if i do

suzilad

Offline bullzeye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 January 17 20:01 GMT (UK) »
dear Suzielad,
thanks for the directions to Sundial . I remember looking at Street map before and thought the house looked familiar but was put off by the name Glencairn on the gate post.
I will be up in Edinburgh in March and will visit Gilmerton. maybe I'll get a bit more time to search around for the Tofts and Fernihill as well.
many thanks again. Angus.
BLACKWOOD (Ayrshire)
Mitchell , Edinburgh
Mitchell ,Forfar
Wood, Forfar

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 January 17 20:10 GMT (UK) »

Hi again,
             You mentioned Ferniehill could your relative have lived  in Ferniehill Road by any chance I remember a woman living in quite a substantial house there and my granny calling her Teen Mitchell .
The other thing you mentioned the church did you go up a lane beside the church was it a type of market garden -- I remember going there for vegetables and pretty sure the name was Blackwood ring a bell ?
suzilad

Just noticed the Tofts are what were small cottages at the left hand side of the road at the top of Newtoft Street which was once New Street,

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 January 17 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Maybe checking the actual image for the 1920 Valuation Roll might give some clues on surrounding properties to this entry (from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk):

Mrs Janet Mitchell, Proprietor Occupier, House and Stable, Sundial, Gilmerton, Liberton
VR010800048

Janet Mitchell still showing for the 1925 and 1930 VRs. The address showing on both entries as House and Stable, Sundial, Main Street Gilmerton

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 January 17 23:00 GMT (UK) »
What a great find Monica.  I expect Angus will be very pleased.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 January 17 23:08 GMT (UK) »
The 1931-32 Post Office Directory also shows two likely connected entries:

Mrs Janet Mitchell at 'Viewbank' New Street, Gilmerton, and

Mrs John C Mitchell at 'Sundial' Main Street, Gilmerton

https://archive.org/stream/postofficeann193132edin#page/396/mode/2up

These directories also give an address listing. A useful way of seeing where a property actually was by seeing where it was next too (like the valuation rolls). Not sure why the name Mitchell doesn't feature there https://archive.org/stream/postofficeann193132edin#page/912/mode/2up

Added: From the 1925-26 Directory, Janet Mitchell shows at Sundial on the street listing https://archive.org/stream/postofficeann192526edin#page/818/mode/2up Suzilad and Kit, can you get any clues on location from this listing?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk