Author Topic: Searching for any info on Bridget Donohoe formally of Longwood Meath.  (Read 1701 times)

Offline mary1982

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for any info on Bridget Donohoe formally of Longwood Meath.
« on: Friday 06 January 17 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,all,
I'm making this post to see if i can find out whatever happened to my G,Gran Aunt Bridget Donohoe.
She was born in 1890 in a place in Meath called Longwood. Her mother was called Catherine Kiernan and her father was called Michael Donohoe.
The family story is that she had a baby boy out of wedlock called Patrick in 1910 in Edenderry, Offaly. The 1911 census has her working as a servant in Edenderry and then the last documented listing of her is an ad she put out in 1915 looking for work as a servant.
My G, Granuncle raised her son as his own and she disappeared. It was said that she left to go to family in Scotland but I have no idea as to where in Scotland she may have went to!
If this information seems anyway familiar to anyone please let me know. She apparently left very distraught, I can only imagine how it upsetting it must have been to get up and leave her little boy :( .I would like to know if she ever found happiness again..

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for any info on Bridget Donohoe formally of Longwood Meath.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 January 17 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the story about her giving birth to a son Patrick in 1910 could be true-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1910/01569/1633098.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 January 17 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary

Did Bridget have a middle name?

There are 2 Scottish marriages on SP index that might fit.
Bridget Teresa Donohoe in 1924 in Glasgow
Bridget Elizabeth Donohoe in 1950 in Blantyre

There's also 7 deaths listed on SP but, from the index, it's not clear if Donohoe is the maiden or married name and none exactly fit your 1890 birth.

You'd have to buy credits to investigate further.

Sarah
Kirkcaldy and Dysart: Kinnaird, Brown, McDougall, Page
Burntisland: Brown, Chalmers
Perth: Low
Donegal: Browne, O'Donnell
Montrose: Allardice
Dorset: Allen

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 17 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the story about her giving birth to a son Patrick in 1910 could be true-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1910/01569/1633098.pdf

Surname spelt Donoghue on that certificate too. Worth bearing in mind when searching.

Sarah
Kirkcaldy and Dysart: Kinnaird, Brown, McDougall, Page
Burntisland: Brown, Chalmers
Perth: Low
Donegal: Browne, O'Donnell
Montrose: Allardice
Dorset: Allen

Offline mary1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 17 17:40 GMT (UK) »

Surname spelt Donoghue on that certificate too. Worth bearing in mind when searching.

Sarah

I've tried the different variations of Donohoe on findmypast and Ancestry but nothing coming up either unfortunately.

Hi Mary

Did Bridget have a middle name?

There are 2 Scottish marriages on SP index that might fit.
Bridget Teresa Donohoe in 1924 in Glasgow
Bridget Elizabeth Donohoe in 1950 in Blantyre

There's also 7 deaths listed on SP but, from the index, it's not clear if Donohoe is the maiden or married name and none exactly fit your 1890 birth.

You'd have to buy credits to investigate further.

Sarah
Her birth record doesn't have any middle name entered.
Thank you both for the replies :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 17 19:12 GMT (UK) »
If she married or died in Scotland then you'll have to use Scotland's People website to check indexes and view (or order- depending on dates) certificates.

If she remained in Ireland then indexes, etc. are on Irish Genealogy site.

You haven't confirmed if the 1910 birth of Patrick could be her child.

Offline mary1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 January 17 19:42 GMT (UK) »
If she married or died in Scotland then you'll have to use Scotland's People website to check indexes and view (or order- depending on dates) certificates.

If she remained in Ireland then indexes, etc. are on Irish Genealogy site.

You haven't confirmed if the 1910 birth of Patrick could be her child.

I'm pretty confident that he is her child as her niece's daughter whom I got this story off, remembers having an uncle Patrick and her mother telling  her that Patrick wasn't really her uncle but a cousin and told her all about how he came to be known as Uncle Patrick ect.This woman is in her late sixties early seventies and there's too much detail to have me think it's not true.
I have tried the Irish certs and there's nothing there at all to convince me that she stayed in Ireland. The reason I've posted here is in the hopes,that if she did indeed settle here, that she went on to marry and have other children that could possibly help me put some closure on the mystery of where she went in Scotland and what happened to her :)
Thanks for the information,will go check that out.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 January 17 15:32 GMT (UK) »
author=mary1982 link=topic=762423.msg6138829#msg6138829
I've tried the different variations of Donohoe on findmypast and Ancestry but nothing coming up either unfortunately.
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Patrick Donohue, son of Brigid Donohue, no father listed, was born on 17 January 1910 at Edenderry Infirmary. You can view an image of his original birth certificate in the civil records at https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 January 17 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Patrick Donohue, son of Brigid Donohue, no father listed, was born on 17 January 1910 at Edenderry Infirmary. You can view an image of his original birth certificate in the civil records at https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Which is the same birth record I posted earlier with link to the certificate- see reply #1