Author Topic: NDFHS Journals online - index?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
NDFHS Journals online - index?
« on: Sunday 08 January 17 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Occasionally I find a PDF copy of a NDFHS Journal online, but there does not seem to be a central index of these, I just get a message saying Access Denied if I truncate the URL.

Has anyone come across this problem and can suggest a solution?

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NDFHS Journals online - index?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 17 07:57 GMT (UK) »
The NDFHS have copies of their journal from 1975 to 2000 on their site.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 17 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Excellent, thanks David!

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
 I was reminded of these journals today from another site and have started having a read through. They are fascinating!! I've only looked at the first two so far starting in 1975, but there are articles on Presbyterian records, ag labs, naming patterns and some hilarious cuttings from marriage entries in my opinion, plus lots more.
It struck me that the lists at the end of each journal of members interests, might just provide someone with a link to where a family member was in the 1970's onwards, and other articles are just very interesting.
Yes some of the lists of where things are held , are out of date - as are the price of birth certs from the local registrar of £1.25!!!
If however you have time to just have a read and a skim, no matter where your relatives were from, I'd highly recommend having a browse through. Certainly more interesting than some of the news we get in today's world!
The link to them is below-

http://www.ndfhs.org.uk/resources/ndfhs-journal/old-journals/
North East of England

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Such a lot to look through ! Super stuff :-)

Thanks for the link (and the original question, which then produced the link).

I am sitting here in awe of the folk who researched back then.
The helpful information about such things as lists of local LDS Family History Centres really brings it home just how much info we have at our fingertips these days. Takes about 10 seconds to find my nearest one on the web, I get phone numbers, opening hours, a map and directions.

Boo

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
I'm just back from a visit to the former Bedlington shire so I will be interested to see if that area is included. Thank you.

Martin

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
For all of those able to: why not visit the NDFHS base in Percy Street, Newcastle.  If you haven't been before, the Staff volunteers are very knowledgeable and will make you most welcome.  In addition, there is a course just about to start for beginners to research into family history