Author Topic: Help with occupation?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with occupation?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 January 17 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much everyone!

Just did a bit of googling and apparently there was an Act passed in 1830 to try and encourage people to drink beer (rather than spirits like Gin). They gave special licenses so that people could start selling beer from their houses (which they might brew in a back room as has been suggested). Often these Beer Shop keepers went on to be more general shop keepers which would fit. Who knew?!

Blimey, this hobby does take me off on some tangents....  ;D

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 17 09:00 GMT (UK) »
The Beer House Act 1830 allowed a householder, of reputable character, assessed to the poor rate, to retail beer and cider from his own house on payment of an annual fee to the Excise of 2 guineas. This Act opened the floodgates to a spectacular proliferation of decidedly downmarket drinking-dens, most of them in the front rooms of terraced houses. The Act was repealed in 1869. These beer houses are not normally shown on maps.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 January 17 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Stan...very interesting and will make note.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 January 17 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Stan, that is very interesting.

This occupation was shown as the 'occupation of father' on my ancestors birth certificate in 1866 (just before the act was repealed).

On the 1861 his occupation is stated as 'Groom' and in 1871 as 'General Dealer'. I guess the latter could have been a natural progression from Beer Shop keeper. He then went on to be a Fishmonger!

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick update to say I have subsequently found George in a Trade paper declared as a Beer Retailer so you were all right!

Thanks for your help!

Offline Maria56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bearcub
It looks like "beer shop keeper" and I don't think this is book shop keeper. In the past it was normal occupation like chef or waiter today.