Author Topic: Help !  (Read 1719 times)

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help !
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 January 17 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is possible as both the Churchyard and Coldham families had connections all over really. I believe Sarah Coldhams  parents ended up in Rotherham.  ??? Thanks for your input
Churchyard biggleswade and bedford
Currie galashiels and Selkirk
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 17 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ray.
The marriage was at St. Peters church Clerkenwell 4th Feb 1886.
Alfred James Churchyard bachelor age 23 occupation Cooper 36 Crompton Buildings Holborn father James Churchyard Tile Maker.
Louisa Sarah Coldham spinster age 18 36 Crompton Buildings  father Thomas Coldham and in brackets it says Dead.
Witnesses were Walter Levington or Levingston and Margaret Maria Wright.

On some of the birth certificates of nans siblings Alfreds occupations are as follows 1887-91 Cooper Journeyman.
1897-1898 Railway Signalman Bedfordshire ( also in the Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants records for 1897 listed as Signalman. Also in the Grimsby court case of 1886 ( news paper snippet fined for not having a dog license ) he is reported as being a Railway signal man.
1900 Railway Porter at Colwick Notts on birth certificate.
1901 Brewers Drayman Derby
1907/8 in court in Derby for stealing potatoes recorded as railway employee along with another chap ( Derby news paper )
1911 census Carter for Railway
When he died in 1922 he was employed as a Gas works carter
His family on his mothers side had pubs and beerhouses from when he was born in Suffolk and later in Bedfordshire. he moved on from there but his siblings and mother remained in Bedfordshire.
Louisa<> Sarah Coldham was born in West Dereham Suffolk according to census records but that's another mystery ah ! Her father Thomas Coldham I have traced in that area but it seems he may not have been (dead ) when the marriage took place. I believe her family moved to Rotherham where her mother died in the late 1880's 90's and her father in about 1917 but all that bit is another sleuth. Thanks for your time.
Yvonne

Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Daisy - West Dereham is in Norfolk, near Downham Market, so quite a way from Suffolk. Maybe that's why the birth details have been hard to find?

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roopat yes I know West Dereham and have traced most of the Coldham line , I meant to say Norfolk. The Bishops transcripts and searchable church records on line for Norfolk record most of the family births and baptisms for the Coldhams through the years when Louisa Sarah Coldham was born. Her parents and the rest of their off spring are recorded. We did wonder if she had been Baptised / registered with different Christian names as their are quite a few that would match her birth year. As for my nan we have scoured the birth registers on line with other Christian names but none match up with the date of birth or area she is supposed to have been born in. Confusing. Thanks for your input.
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Ray. Why do you mention the name Harriet , not heard of that name before. Is there a birth mentioned anywhere with that Christian name ? I will go and do a search on the birth registers and try it if so. Many thanks
Yvonne
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline PhyllSmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Grimsby library have a database of parish records - and microfilm of the record books, you could ring them and see if there's a christening record, and get a copy of that - might throw more light on things.  The spelling / name on the christening might give a clue to that on the birth registration.

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello thanks for that, her and her siblings were all baptised within a few weeks of each other when they eventually settled in derby. My nan was 11 at that time. Is being Baptised the same as being christened ? sorry to appear dim I don't know.
Yvonne
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk