Author Topic: Ancestry exported Gedcom issue  (Read 1900 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry exported Gedcom issue
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 January 17 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Thread on the Family Historian User Group Forum about this I believe - http://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14533.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 January 17 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ray

It is 2 completely seperate trees, there is absolutely no links between the 2 trees, each is autonomous.

Each one is exported, the Gedcom of my tree works fine in Family Historian and yet the other tree does not.  All I see is a list of individuals with no relationship links in the problem Gedcom.

There seems to be an export issue with Ancestry as I uploaded it back to Ancestry and it gives the same result, 900 individuals and no relationships, in other words select any individual and you have a tree of one person, the person selected, no parents, no siblings, no spouse, no children.

Just trying to find if anyone else has had the same problem

Do you still have your wife’s original tree on Ancestry or do you now only have the tree with no relationship links (you mentioned you uploaded back to Ancestry)?
If you have overwritten your original tree on Ancestry you will have to upload your back-up file to restore her tree. (You do have back-up files don’t you?)

It sounds as if the gedcom of your wife’s tree failed to export correctly.
Have you tried to export a new gedcom of your wife’s tree from a working Ancestry Tree?

Cheers
Guy

As I said do you still have your wife's original tree on Ancestry?

If you have over written your original tree with the faulty gedcom you will have lost all the connections and will have to start again ( or manually link the generations).

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 January 17 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin

Re FHUG = heading in the same/right direction.

Having read the posts, I have a small list of things to check which do not appear within the thread (there is a clue).

Regards
Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

guest189040

« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 January 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.

Not had anything from Ancestry but a guy on the FHUG pointed me in the direction of what the errors are in the Gedcom so I now have a rough idea of the actual problems in the export.

When I phoned Ancestry help last Monday they had me export the tree to a new Gedcom again and after renaming it I uploaded it to create a new tree.  The resultant tree was more like a mass of fallen leaves, all there individually just no relationship links.

So we still have two functioning tree on Ancestry.

Will update again when I have more info from Ancestry.

Offline confusion

• RootsChat Senior
  • I was born poor - and still have all of it
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 January 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Colin Lamb:
       So we still have two functioning tree on Ancestry.

Have you tried re-downloading the file again. If you still have two functioning trees working
on Ancestry it looks like one of your files became corrupt upon converting to gedcom.

It looks like the gedcom file has 'lost' the links to the individual families. You could
have a mamouth task ahead if you want to manually edit the said 'faulty'
gedcom to correct the anomalies.

Remember, that the standard gedcom format has been adulterated by the various family tree vendors to add more bells and whistles to their individual programs. Any extraneous UDT's
(User Defined Tags) will be ignored when you import the file into another family tree program
so may/may not display as you would think and an error message will be displayed.

It might be quicker to re-enter the info whilst it is fresh in the mind.

Good luck

Jim

Willey, Berry, Cox, Davis, Haddock, Hutton, Griffiths/Griffin, Tanner - Worcestershire
Cox, Dudley, Harris, Moore, Neville, Payne - Warwickshire
Chambers, Douds, Dryden, Given, Hamilton, Hassan, McPherson, McWhirter, Simpson, Taggart, Vauls, Whiteside - Ireland/Scotland, Northumberland
Challis, Halls, Heady, Grove, Lawrence - Essex
Foxwell, Imm, Ward - Gloucesteshire
Heady, Collis, Griffin - Hertfordshire
Hurling - Middlesex
Willey, Imm - Monmouthshire
Imm, Hamilton, Hedge, Majury, Sollis - US

guest189040

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Jim

I have modified the tree and exported as a new Gedcom.

I have done this four times, renamed each in Win Exp and inported said file into a new FH project.

Same result each time, a mass of individuals and no linked relationships.

Not had time to ring Ancestry today.

If I have to I will create from scratch but not yet, I will practice with the Gedcom of my own family that is OK in FH.  That is the really strange thing, one tree is OK the other is not.

guest189040

« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 January 17 15:55 GMT (UK) »
UPDATE

Apparently this is now solved, not had any contact from Ancestry but I thought that I would export the Gedcom again and see what it looks like in the standalone software I now have.

Imported the Gedcom into Roots Magic OK, a quick look in an add hoc fashion and all seems fine.

So it looks like Ancestry did the deed in the background.