Author Topic: Definition and Decipher please ....  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Definition and Decipher please ....
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 January 17 00:30 GMT (UK) »
I've just done the last section of the page for you -- rather quickly, so I can't guarantee 100% correct.

=====

6th & 7th Oct 1691

Lease & Release of these Dates the Rel(ease) Quadripartite & made between the s(ai)d Timothy

Brigginshaw Francis Geers Batchelor in Physick & Eleanor his Wife Sister of the s(ai)d Timothy

Brigginshaw of the 1st part, the s(ai)d Mary Barneby & Ann her Dau(ghte)r of the 2nd part

Grimbold Pauncefoot Esq & Thos Barneby of the 3d part, Anthony Rowden Esq & Wm

Johnson D.D. of the 4th part  By which the s(ai)d Timothy Brigginshaw Francis Geers

& Eleanor his Wife with one Assent & Consent in cons(ideratio)n of a Marr(iage) to be shortly had

between s(ai)d Timothy Brigginshaw & s(ai)d Ann Barneby & of the Sum of 1000li being the

marr(iage) Portion of s(ai)d Ann Barneby p(ai)d or secured to be p(ai)d to s(ai)d Timothy Brigginshaw

& of 5li(?) to s(ai)d Francis Geers & Eleanor his Wife p(ai)d and in pursuance of certain Articles

dated the Day before the Date thereof made between s(ai)d Timothy Brigginshaw of the One part

Ann Rowden Widow, the s(ai)d Mary Barneby & Ann Barneby on the other part, And to

the Intent that a competent Jointure might be had & provided for the s(ai)d Ann Barneby his

intended Wife & that the Manors or reputed Manors Lands & Heredit(aments) therein after ment(ione)d

might be settled to the several Uses therein after limited & for ...

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 January 17 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you yet again.... I do have photo images of all the pages of this "history of entitlement" and I am now going to try and decode it all ..... All the folks you have wrote about are names associated with Earl's Court in one way or another. I found it very difficult to decipher the original script but now that you have done a great job on it I can use your interpretations when I get stuck on the other pages. I find these documents give a great insight into the lives and the property (Earl's Court Worcester) that I am researching.  Thanks again.
Scotland:Aberdeen:BROWN,COUTTS,CULLEN,TAYLOR
England:Gloucestershire:CAMERY,SHAIL,PERRYMAN
England:Woolwich:Plumstead:BROWN,MARKHAM,QUADLING
England:Gloucestershire:Stroud:HOGG,GARDNER,WRIGHT
England:Worcestershire:BROWN,LANNI(e), BRIDGES
Ireland:Dublin:(O')CONNOR,MULLEN,KANE

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 January 17 11:06 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome. To help understand the abbreviations and meaning of terms, do use the sample settlements on the Nottingham Deeds website (1st link in my reply #4 above). Good luck  :)

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 January 17 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I have progressed through several pages now but it didn't take long for me to get stuck :(  ... Attached is a schedule that goes with above document. It shows land, I'm assuming owned by Timothy Brigginshaw, that are jointure? and entailed?. I'm guessing that jointure and entailed are legal jargon for how the land is to be used? divided? passed on?

Also,  I can see the £83 referred to previously in transcript but cannot make out the name of the person who is renting Earl's Court ..... William H?????   any ideas please?  Thank you.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 January 17 17:53 GMT (UK) »
It shows land, I'm assuming owned by Timothy Brigginshaw, that are jointure? and entailed?. I'm guessing that jointure and entailed are legal jargon for how the land is to be used? divided? passed on?

Yes, as I understand it ...

The Jointure Lands were freehold lands to be enjoyed jointly by husband and wife during their lifetimes. After the husband’s death, the widow continued to have a life interest in them, but she couldn’t sell them. After her death they were to descend to their legitimate sons (from p. 1: ‘To the use & behoof of the s(ai)d Ann Barneby for her Jointure & in satisfaction of the Dower & the heirs Males of her body by the s(ai)d T. Brigginshaw to be begotten’). The rent value of these jointure lands was £100 per annum (£83 + £17).

The Entailed Lands were freehold lands which did not go to the wife after the husband’s death, but descended in ‘fee tail’, in this case to their legitimate sons (from p. 1: ‘And allso some other of his lands & tenements to the farther value of 150li p(er) ann(um) and more, to the heirs Male of her body to be begotten as af(oresai)d after the decease of him the s(ai)d T. Brigginshaw’). The rent value of these entailed lands was £153 8s. 4d per annum.  Grand Total £253 8s. 4d per annum.

Also,  I can see the £83 referred to previously in transcript but cannot make out the name of the person who is renting Earl's Court ..... William H?????   any ideas please?  Thank you.

I think the tenant is Wm Hewster(?).

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 January 17 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again ...

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 January 17 02:01 GMT (UK) »
I have just found (in the IGI relating to St John in Bedwardine area of Worcester where Earl's Court is situate) a William Hewster b.1681 to William Hewster snr and wife.... :) 

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 January 17 11:07 GMT (UK) »