Author Topic: William John Munden b.1866 Chambly  (Read 765 times)

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William John Munden b.1866 Chambly
« on: Friday 13 January 17 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully someone will have access to the records and be able to help me out.

I have found a record which suggests that William John Munden was born in Chambly, Canada, the son of a soldier in the 30th Regiment of the British Army. I believe he died in 1867. I also think his family were Irish Catholics.

If someone has access to the baptismal/burial records which hold information about William's short life, this would be a massive help  :)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: William John Munden b.1866 Chambly
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 17 06:53 GMT (UK) »
There is a burial entry in the parish records of Saint Patrick (someone else could confirm this but I believe Saint Patrick is in Quebec City) in the Drouin Collection at Ancestry. The entry indicates William John Munden was the son of William Munden, Private in the 30th Regiment and of Mary Henigan. William died on 27 Mar 1867 and was buried on the 28th. He was 8 months and 11 days old.

There is a baptism entry for William John Munden at St-Joseph in Chambly dated 20 Jul 1866 (it's difficult to read but I believe that is the correct date). Also the GRO Regimental Birth Indices has an entry for his birth. You can order a copy of the birth record from the GRO with this information: vol 1132, page 49.

There are also baptisms in the Saint Patrick records for the same couple for two daughters: Mary Jane who was baptized on 5 Sep 1864* and Emma who was baptized on 9 Feb 1868.
*The entry is really difficult to read but I believe that date is correct.

I noticed on the 1881 England census for this family that they had another son named William John who was born about 1873 in the Channel Islands and a daughter named Emma who was about 1875 in Portsmouth, Hampshire so it appears the Emma born in Quebec died young as well.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 17 07:33 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to Find My Past there is an entry for William Munden in the British Army Service Records 1760-1915 database. The file indicates he was born in Bothenhampton, Bridport, Dorset. He enlisted in the 30th Regiment of Foot on 5 Aug 1859 in Dorchester when he was 19 years old. He had previously served in the Dorset Militia for 38 days. His occupation was listed as shoemaker. He was in the army for 34 years 284 days of which 7 years 330 days were in Canada. He was discharged in 1894. There is also an entry indicating he received a Canada General Service Medal which "was awarded to members of the Imperial and Canadian forces who had taken part in the suppression of the Fenian raids..." in 1866.

It says he married Mary Hennigan on 28 Apr 1863 at St. Marys, Toronto. They had 7 children*. There is a lot more information in the file if you can access it.
*This would mean living as the 1881 England census listed 7 living children and we know 2 children died young.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 17 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Jacquie you're a star!!

I had no idea there was another daughter (Emma) born in Canada. I'll have to find out if there's any record of her dying there as the Emma I have on the family tree is called Emma Honora and was born in the UK.

Interesting that there's a marriage for William Munden and Mary Hennigan in Toronto as all the other major events take place in the Quebec area. I'm relying on Google telling me that it's quite a distance between the two "areas". Will have to do a bit of digging to see if I can find evidence of the marriage as it may give some clues as to Mary's family (parents, siblings etc).

Thank you again Jacquie  :)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 January 17 19:46 GMT (UK) »
A bit of an aside.....

Here is a link to some info about St Mary's Church. The church pictured here is not the original one; it is a replacement started in 1885. Part way down the history is mention of a Chaplain to the troops at Fort York, which was not far away. He would have been the R C Chaplain.

https://tayloronhistory.com/2012/08/08/enjoying-torontos-architectural-gemsst-marys-roman-catholic-church/

There is an email contact for the church at this link....they may perhaps be able to help you find the marriage record....you need to scroll down a ways.

http://www.joinmychurch.com/churches/St-Mary-s-Parish-Toronto-Ontario-Canada/2832

Troops tended to be moved around when they were in Canada so movement between Toronto Fort York, Kingston (between Toronto and Montreal), Montreal, Chambly (Montreal area), and Quebec City would not have been unusual.

Also, it's nice to see from another thread that you have found a burial for Emma in Ireland. I hadn't been able to find one in Quebec.

PB

Added: have you looked at the 1911 UK census for the comprehensive info about where Mary was born?
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 January 17 21:58 GMT (UK) »
A bit of a time line...

William and Mary are married at St Mary's Toronto 28 Apr 1863.

Regiment moves to Montreal.

Mary Jane is baptized 05 Sep 1864 at St Patrick's in Montreal, DOB 14 Aug 1864.

Regiment moves south of Montreal to the Chambly area (not far).

William John is baptized 20 Jul 1866 at St Joseph's in Chambly, DOB 16 Jul 1866.

Regiment moves to Quebec City.

William John dies on 27 Mar and is buried 28 Mar 1867 at St Patrick's in Quebec City.

Emma is baptized 09 Feb 1868 at St Patrick's in Quebec City, DOB 01 Feb 1868.

Next stop Ireland?

Images of all these records are available on Ances**y. You would need a Canadian or World sub. Otherwise, you could check if your local public library subscribes to Ances**y Library Edition and you could access them that way.

Similarly, you may be able to access William's military records through your library if you don't have a sub for findmypast.

PB

Added for clarity: as shown in the timeline, there were 2 St Patrick's parishes related to events, one in Montreal and the 2nd in Quebec City. Each location is clearly marked to the left of the record pages.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 January 17 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Looking at British census Mary gives her place of birth as Castlebar, Ireland and Balla, Mayo, Ireland

From Catholic baptisms on FindMyPast there are a few possibilities based on the above

Mary Hanigan bap. 25 Nov 1841 d/o Traule Hanigan and Ellen Bourk.  That's from transcription.  I've included the snipped birth to see if you can decipher Hanigan's first name.

Mary Hannegan bap May 1843 Balla, Tuam, Mayo d/o Jno Hannegan and Mary Hollan

Mary Henaghan bap 07 Apr 1842 Ball, Tuam, Mayo d/o Thos Henaghan and Mary Loftus.