Author Topic: Illegitimate Child - Mother's Details  (Read 841 times)

Offline MasonT78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Illegitimate Child - Mother's Details
« on: Saturday 14 January 17 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone might be able to give some advice.

My 3x Great Grandfather Robert Mason was baptised on the 5 January 1801 at St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth. (He is also referred to in another one of my posts - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=762747.0

He was the illegitimate child on Sarah Mason. This is whom I'm trying to find information on.

Robert was sent to Australia as a convict in 1834. For years later his family continued (unsuccessfully) to petition for clemency and a pardon. These letters refer to his family being located at his native place (Great Yarmouth) He was convicted in Kent (He was a Journeyman Carpenter, which required him to move away). He went their to work for a WH Mason, i have no idea if they were related, or if it is just a coincidence.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find how many other Mason families may have been in the town at that time or any ideas on how i may be able to trace his mother? I have no other details of her than a name and the town

Thanks
MASON
WYLIE
HAYES
DANDO
BINNS
SEARLE

Online The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate Child - Mother's Details
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a Sarah Mason baptised at St Nicholas' Great Yarmouth 23 Jan 1778 to John and Sarah Mason
see http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j9r/

Offline MasonT78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate Child - Mother's Details
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 17 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, i have seen that one. Just don't know how i can prove that it is her or not.

I've now resorted to researching all the names on the petitions for her son, Robert, to see if any of them maybe related and not just friends or residents. The first one, being the smallest has 51 names, so i think this might take a while.
MASON
WYLIE
HAYES
DANDO
BINNS
SEARLE