Author Topic: Henry Baring of Tunbridge Wells  (Read 576 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Baring of Tunbridge Wells
« on: Saturday 14 January 17 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate some assistance in finding two pieces of information regarding Henry Baring (1893-1930) He was born in Tunbridge Wells, the son of Henry Baring (1831-1929) who was a captain with the 17th Lancers. Henry Baring Senior and his wife and children lived in Tunbridge Wells since the late 1880's. Henry senior died in Tunbridge Wells in 1929 and his wife Harriett died in Tunbridge Wells in 1950.

Henry Baring (1893-1930) became a school teacher. His twin brother Rev Francis Guy Baring (1893-1962) in addition to his religious career also became a schoolmaster having been educated at Oxford University. Henry Baring b 1893 must have gone to university but I cant find any records-can you find them ?

My second question pertains to Henry's death. His death and probate records have him " of the Public School for Boys Shanghai China when he died September 14,1930". He never married for the probate record has his estate of only 139 pounds going to his mother Harriett
Emily Baring, widow. A few books such as "The People Doctor" in referring to the central character Rewi Alley (1897-1987), a poet, writer, social reformer etc, record that Alley was friends with Henry Baring in Shanghai and that before Baring's death Henry "introduced Alley to Marxist Theory and to the leftist community in Shanghai". It appears Henry was pro communism. The book states "Henry Baring was assassinated by the Shanghai Police". I would like to find out any information about his death in Shanghai. Was he assassinated and if so why. If not what led to his early death? I suspect he may have been killed because of his pro-communist views but that is only speculation on my part. I would like to get to the facts about his death. Can you help please?

Offline farlington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Baring of Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 17 17:54 GMT (UK) »
According to the K&S Courier Obit. HB went to Oxford University tho studies were interrupted by the Great War. First enlisted in Royal West Kent Regiment then the Royal Air Force. After war went to Canada then Shanghai.
Goes on to say that he taught at Public and Thomas Hanbury School for Boys in Shanghai. He went to China in 1926
more about his activities in the Courier  10 October 1930

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Baring of Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 17 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Excellent work ...........Thank you very much.