Author Topic: George Taylor and Elizabeth Davidson Cameron  (Read 824 times)

Offline gnome4393

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Taylor and Elizabeth Davidson Cameron
« on: Saturday 14 January 17 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

After deciphering a marriage certificate of my grandad i have looked up the marriage of his parent who were (according to the certificate) deceased at the time of his marriage.

My grandad George Davidson Taylor was born approx 1925. His parents were George Taylor and Elizabeth Davidson Taylor nee Cameron. I cannot find any record of a marriage between them. I know the family seem to have stayed around Aberdeen so i would imagine that they married in that area.

Im also curious as to how they both died. Again i looked at death certificate records and found no matches except a few close ones but they were after their sons marriage in 1953 so that doesn't fit.

I feel there is something more complicated going on as my grandad (George Davidson Taylor) was brought up by another member of his family and never spoke of his parents.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Taylor and Elizabeth Davidson Cameron
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 17 20:03 GMT (UK) »
If you order the birth certificate for your grandad it should give the dates of the parents marriage and place
Rosie

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 17 23:54 GMT (UK) »
There’s a marriage in St Nicholas, Aberdeen in 1915 between George Taylor and Elizabeth Cameron Davidson. This Elizabeth appears to be the illegitimate daughter of Mary Davidson, a domestic servant (who went on to marry one William Glennie) - presumably her father’s surname was Cameron, but she was registered as Elizabeth Ann Davidson, born in 1890 in Insch. She appears in the 1891 census with her grandmother in Insch, as Eliza Ann C Davidson, and with her mother and stepfather in Rayne in 1901 as Lizzie Ann Cameron.

There is also a birth for a George Davidson Taylor in St Nicholas in 1925 - as Rosie suggests, you’d need to order the certificate to confirm that this was the correct George Davidson Taylor - SP shows another George Davidson Taylor, also born in 1925 registered in Leslie.

I can also see a death for an Elizabeth Cameron Taylor (other name Davidson), aged 38, in St Nicholas in 1928, which would fit with your grandfather being brought up by other family members. I can’t see an obvious death for George Taylor, but it’s quite a common name - with luck you can narrow the search by having a look at Elizabeth’s death entry to see if she was already a widow or not.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 January 17 09:43 GMT (UK) »
There is also a birth for a George Davidson Taylor in St Nicholas in 1925 - as Rosie suggests, you’d need to order the certificate to confirm that this was the correct George Davidson Taylor - SP shows another George Davidson Taylor, also born in 1925 registered in Leslie.
It could be the same person. If his parents lived in Leslie (I assume it's Leslie, Aberdeenshire rather than Leslie, Fife) but he was born in Aberdeen for some reason, the birth would have had to be registered in Aberdeen, but the Aberdeen registrar would have had to notify the Leslie registrar, who would then re-register the birth in the district of residence of the parents.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.