Author Topic: Help with 1796 entry in Carnew parish registers  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Help with 1796 entry in Carnew parish registers
« on: Wednesday 18 January 17 01:30 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in the baptism of Patrick Curren on 24 March 1796, parents Peter Curren and Ann Beaughan or Braughan in the parish of Carnew (AKA Tomacork), counties Wicklow and Wexford. The relevant entry can be seen on right hand page at
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634036#page/19/mode/1up

I am trying to better figure out the mother's surname - what name is this?

(I posted this here in the "Ireland" forum as the parish of Carnew spans county boundaries).
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Help with 1796 entry in Carnew parish registers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 01:49 GMT (UK) »
I see Beaughan.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 01:54 GMT (UK) »
I see Beaughan.

That would be my best guess as well. But the problem is that Griffith's valuation shows no one of that name in all of Cos. Wicklow and Wexford. So I think this must be a variant spelling of something else?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 02:10 GMT (UK) »
I see Beaughan.

Thinking of variants, I see that John Grenham's site suggests that Beaughan is a variant of "Behan", which is better known, and there are several Behans in Carnew in Griffith's valuation. Can anyone verify that these are variants?
https://www.johngrenham.com/findasurname.php?surname=Behan

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at other examples?  There's one on next page.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at other examples?  There's one on next page.

Thank you! That at least nails down how the PP thought the name should be spelled.