Author Topic: A Jones Family Help  (Read 1571 times)

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Jones Family Help
« on: Wednesday 18 January 17 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I am helping a friend with his family tree His father was William Elwyn Jones born Clydach Vale 1926 His mother was Margaret Jones nee Jones1896  and his father was William Jones 1889

On the 1939 register  they were living in 113 high street Clydach Vale with daughter Elizabeth 1918 known as Bessie

There were two other children Gwyneth and Ryan not sure of their birth dates

I am not sure now how to get marriage certificate as I am not sure where they married There are about ten couples alone in pontypridd area

It is believed William senior might have been from Anglesey Thanks Jen

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Jones Family Help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 January 17 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Jones without census very difficult to pin down in Wales. Maybe next census would give more light.

This is the second marriage of Elizabeth (previously married a Jenkins, nee Jones)
Marriages Mar Q 1949   
Jenkins    Elizabeth A    Roderick    Pontypridd    8b   1157    
Jones    Elizabeth A    Roderick    Pontypridd    8b   1157   
Roderick    Harold K    Jenkins    Pontypridd    8b   1157    
Roderick    Harold K    Jones    Pontypridd    8b   1157   

Births Sep Q 1918  Pontypridd 11a 1263  (Fits with dob 1939) possible parent marriage in area 1917
Jones Elizabeth A  Mmn  Jones. Only one that comes up in area, so parents in area from 1918.

Willam her father in 1939 was William J.  There are 3 other in household blacked out.

Not able to locate a Ryan/Rhian  birth in area before 1966

Not much help sorry, does your friend have any more clues?

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 January 17 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Have managed to get death dates of William 31 March 1973 and Margaret 19 Feb 1975

I am going to get death cert see if it shows anything

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 17 00:45 GMT (UK) »
From the dates of birth on 1939 register I have found a Margaret Jones born the same date 12 Aug 1896 living 4 miles from Clydach Vale in Tylorstown
I am presuming it is her as the coincidence of name a date of birth would be amazing to be someone different According to birth cert I bought parents were David and Elizabeth Howells 177 East street

From that I can see a Margaret on 1911 census living at !95 East Road with her parents David 1878 Hirwain and Elizabeth 1873 Carmarthenshire

However I still cant find the marriage of William Jones and Margaret Jones Pontypridd register office have no matches Could the district for Tylorstown be elsewhere
Am I presuming to much

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 17 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, difficult without much info to build on...

I have checked Trealaw cem, the local largest burial ground for both William & Margaret, son William E and Rodericks for the dates you gave and not there, so likely not stayed in the Clydach Vale area.

The only other thing I can suggest is email the FH Library they hold electrol rolls from around 1919, not including WW2 war years. You need an address (1939) if over 21 it may shed light on additional family members.

The local FH library (old name for area Ystradyfodwg) later became Rhondda, used to be Treorchy, but due to cuts is now closed. This is the link for Aberdare.

http://www.rctcbc.gov.uk/EN/Resident/SchoolsandLearning/Libraries/Librarylocationsandopeninghours/AberdareLibrary.aspx

Pontypridd Reg district would cover the Tylorstown area, but no surety where born or married.  You could get the BC for Elizabeth or William Elwyn for address, but this can be costly.

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/pontypridd.html

If they DID marry in area, would say between Margaret age b 1896 and birth of Elizabeth 1918 these are most likely.

Marriages Jun 1914   
Jones William J T married  Jones    Pontypridd 11a   1163   

Marriages Sep 1917   
Jones William   married  Jones    Pontypridd 11a   1009    

On the new GRO index there are around 6 hits for Margaret Jones b Sept Q 1896 Pontypridd Reg district with Mmn, but again, unsure where born.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp if not registered, need to register then free to search.

Good Luck

Cas

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 March 17 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Sorry  just seent your very kind mail I have contacted Pontypridd Register Office and they checked the marriages

"I have searched my records for possible matches for the marriage of your ancestors and have found nothing that would match the information you have given.

I have searched for 5 years prior to 1918 where we have 2 marriages of William Jones to Margaret Jones, however they are definitely not the ones you are looking for."
I am thinking perhaps that Margaret Jones was born in North Wales and they married up there and came to Wales after William or Willie can be seen on 1911 Census as a collier born 1890 born Llangoed Anglesey
Or could there be any other reason for a missing marriage cert in Wales

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 March 17 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Unlikely the marriage is record is missing, from Pontypridd records..as you say they may have married in North wales.

Try contacting the library with the 1939 address, worth a shot. I don't know what else to suggest.

Cas

Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile