Author Topic: Missing Person Report! - Johanna Smyth, 1911 census  (Read 3381 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Missing Person Report! - Johanna Smyth, 1911 census
« on: Thursday 19 January 17 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks, just want to report a missing person!  ;)

My great-grandmother Johanna Smyth (Smith) can be seen on the 1901 census in Oulart, Co. Wexford at
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001277064/
My great-grandfather, Luke Smyth, passed away in 1905, after which the family pub and farm were sold. Several children emigrated to the US. I have traced most everyone in 1910 and 1911, with the significant exception of my great-grandmother Johanna. She passed away in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford in January 1917, so it does not appear that she left the country, or if she did, she returned.

I have searched high and low for Johanna in the 1911 census - just wondering if anyone else can find her!
p.s. The Johanna Smyth + family to be seen in Maudlintown, Wexford Town, in 1911 is not her.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Person Report! - Johanna Smyth, 1911 census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 17 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Having a look around and she certainly doesn't seem to pop up anywhere, even using various variations. What was her maiden name? Are the 4 children listed on the 1901 Census her only children?
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Is her son Peter,present at her death, the only child left in Ireland? http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Enniscorthy_Urban/Castle_Street/679965/

O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 January 17 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if she might be on one of the 'lost' returns, the site explaining these and with links to some has sadly expired and they are very hard (well time consuming) to find. I don't even know if there are any for Wexford.

It's a problem with the search that if a set of returns has no townland written on it, it doesn't come up in the search and can only be found by moving image by image from one townland to the next until you find one that is not on the list.
Usually you can spot them by comparing the list of townlands from 1901 with 1911 but than comes the task of finding the images.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 January 17 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Having a look around and she certainly doesn't seem to pop up anywhere, even using various variations. What was her maiden name? Are the 4 children listed on the 1901 Census her only children?

Maiden name was Crean[e], sometimes given as Crane. She had 6 children. Other than the four at home in the 1901 census, Margaret was away at school in Enniscorthy, and James was an apprentice shopkeeper in Gorey (in 1901).
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 January 17 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Is her son Peter,present at her death, the only child left in Ireland? http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Enniscorthy_Urban/Castle_Street/679965/

No in addition to Peter, there was also my grandmother, Katherine (another confectioner), and Luke.
- In January 1917, Peter had just retuned home from an all-expenses-paid vacation in Frongoch, Wales, curtesy of His Majesty!  [For those who won't understand the reference, he was deported and detained without trial in Frongoch concentration camp].
- Luke had to flee to the US in 1923 (via Canada), due to the unpleasantness of the Civil War. He returned to Ireland in the 1930s when things had quietened down.
At the time of the 1911 census, two children were in the US, James and Mary. Margaret was in Dun Laoghaire, but left for the US in October 1911.
Which reminds me, that Luke may also be unaccounted for in the 1911 census!

p.s. How do you crop the images when you post?

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 January 17 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Duplicate.....

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 January 17 18:38 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if she might be on one of the 'lost' returns, the site explaining these and with links to some has sadly expired and they are very hard (well time consuming) to find. I don't even know if there are any for Wexford.

It's a problem with the search that if a set of returns has no townland written on it, it doesn't come up in the search and can only be found by moving image by image from one townland to the next until you find one that is not on the list.
Usually you can spot them by comparing the list of townlands from 1901 with 1911 but than comes the task of finding the images.

Interesting! Are you saying that they did not just leave the townland name blank in these cases,  but that people in these "lost" townlands are completely unindexed? Strange approach to take, if so...

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 January 17 19:32 GMT (UK) »
I thought an example would explain best, the one I picked has the townland on it  :-X I'm sure that is the reason given on the site I mentioned ???
Any way here is the example
Kildare 1901 Donaghcumper, note the townland Clonaghlis
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kildare/Donaghcumper/
Same place 1911
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kildare/Donaghcumper/
notice Clonaghlis is missing
but it is online
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002562373/
Now try searching for any of the people on that house and building return
Here is James Brennan and family to make it easier to try a search
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002562379/
can you find them using the search.