Author Topic: Northants Look up please after 1746  (Read 1315 times)

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northants Look up please after 1746
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 January 17 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks prawn cocktail, appreciate your guidance.

Wonder what Merry Grey was doing "of Twyford" - that is a distance from Thorpe Mandeville and Quainton where I had him living at some points and from Brackley. What does Com' mean do you know? Do you get the info from images or extracts from PRs? Keep wondering which, if any, of the commercial websites are worth subscribing to which will enable access to images of the PRs - they don't make it easy to find out until you actually pay the money!

Do appreciate your kind help
Cheers
Meegan

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 January 17 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meegan,

I have a full set of the Northants Indexes - which I sometimes check against the online images!

As for which site is best to join, it depends on where your research has taken you.

The Northants PR's are on Anc***, as are Oxfordshire (not far from Thorpe Mandeville)

Buckinghamshire aren't on anywhere, but do have a good index via the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.

"Com' " is short for "Comitatus" which means County. Twyford, Buckinghamshire must have been where Merry was working at the time of his marriage. As a younger son, he would have had to make his own way in the world.
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 January 17 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Than you again, pc. I do like having the images, feels more real I guess. Have done a bit of transcribing for various UK FHS over the years and the quality of the writing is astoundingly good and bad but always interesting.

No doubt you are right about being away with work - he was a baker, perhaps even doing his training?
Thank you for your time and advice
Meegan