Author Topic: Julia CURTIS.1857.  (Read 11547 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Julia CURTIS.1857.
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 12 February 17 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Good find, Jomot.

I have to say that I agree with Sue in her speculation of Julia's life. 

I found this article mostly about Thomas Elder BOYD senior but interesting - starts on p2

http://www.mt-evelyn.net/documents/ThingsPast/053%20Things%20Past%20July%202012.pdf

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 13 February 17 02:39 GMT (UK) »
I now have access to the death certificate for Thomas Elder BOYD but it doesn't really get us any further.

Date and place of death - 18 August 1906, Lecona?, Asling St Lower, Brighton, Victoria
Name and surname - Thomas Elder BOYD
Occupation of the deceased - Estate Agent
Sex and age - male, 71 years
Cause of death and Duration of illness- vascular disease of the heart, 40 years; Bronchitis and heart failure, 2 weeks
Name and surname of parents (if known) including mother's maiden surname, with occupation   Thomas Elder BOYD, banker, Jessie BOYD, maiden name: SMALL
Medical attendant by whom certified and when he last saw deceased; J H McGee, 18 August 1906
 Signature, description and address of informant - O R Blanch, authorised agent, Rowan St Elsternwick
Signature of deputy registrar, date and where registered - M Sandy? 21 August 1906
 When and where buried, undertaker whom certified - 20 August 1906, Melbourne Cemetery, G S Sleight
Name and religion of Minister, or names of witnesses of burial; G A G Clewes, James A Archibald
Place of birth of the deceased and how long he or she resided in the Australian colonies or states (stating which) - Rochdale, England, about 60 years in Victoria
If married - Where, and at what age and to whom;
Names and ages of children of the deceased
-  both of these columns are struck through with no entry made.
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 13 February 17 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Oh what a shame - I was hoping his death certificate would produce a 'ta da' moment  :(

Still, those signatures definitely looked like the same person to me, and all of the other 'clues' do strongly suggest that Thomas Elder Boyd was the father of Julia's children.  I'm still surprised that there is no will though.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 13 February 17 03:11 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping for that as well, but no joy!

Judith

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Here is some more about Julia Laura MOORE's children from Sue's list of births.

Aubrey Mervyn MOORE:

Confirmed at St Peter's Eastern Hill (Melbourne) 3 July 1910, aged 14

Married Ivy WESTWOOD, Victoria, 1919, #5399
Marriage Notice
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/202440129

Electoral Rolls:
1921 with Ivy at 4 Lara St Prahran, electrician
1924, 1927, 1928 with Ivy at 115 Carpenter St, Brighton. Occ: electrician
1935 c/- C Sibrey, Murray St, Cootamundra, NSW, labourer
1936 c/- Flanigan, Marquis St, Junee NSW. labourer
1948, 1954 c/- R G Clayton, Ardmona, orchard hand

Comment: I wonder if something happened between 1928 when he was a tradesman with a wife and 1935 where he is a labourer, with no woman of the same surname listed with him.
Ardmona is near Shepparton which is/was a fruit-growing area.  Cootamundra and Junee are in the Riverina district but in NSW - both smallish railway towns.

Funeral Notice: died March 1954, cremated Springvale Crematorium.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/26599735
Death Notice for MOORE, Aubrey Mervyn (Jack) mentions his parents, siblings Leslie and Verna, sister-in-law Jessie.  He was apparently living at 2 Landcox St, East Brighton, but formerly of Ardmona. 
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/26599322

PROV has a will for him, died 28 March 1954, orchard hand, residing Brighton.  Not digitised though.
http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=54
According to the Springvale deceased search 'the cremated remains have been scattered'

Will leave this for now and see if I can find something for the other son later.  :)

Judith

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Wodonga and Towong Sentinel 28Mar1924 http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/69645603
BONEGILLA STATE SCHOOL
[CONTRIUTED]
Aubrey Moore, a former pupil of this school, has succeded in passing a second examination held by the Victorian Railway Department, and will become a clerk in the railways very shortly.

The Argus 2Dec1926 http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/3824226
NEW INSOLVENTS.
Aubrey Mervyn Moore, of Carpenter street, Middle Brighton, railway employee. Causes of insolvency-
Expenses incurred owing to illness of wife and death of children, and pressure of creditors. Liabilities....

VIC death: 1960#10676 Ivy MOORE; Age 65; Father-Henry WESTWOOD; Mother-Ann (Schofield)
Place of birth: BRIGHTON; Place of death: BRIGHTON
Springvale Botanical Cemetery https://mgc.smct.org.au/deceasedsearch/result/251326
"The cremated remains have been scattered"
PROV Index to Wills, Probate and Administration Records http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jjg/
Ivy Moore; Widow; Brighton; DD: 20 Aug 1960

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
I see Rob, our OP has been on the Leicestershire board in recent days interested in a family MOORE.
We have not seen any comment on the Julia CURTIS thread lately. Not after you Judith typed up the findings on the death of Thomas Elder BOYD on 13th Feb.

Hope notifications are arriving as they should be so OP can stay in touch.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ROBINHULL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all...
Thanks once again for all of your help.
Thanks Judith for the transcription of the death Thomas Elder Boyd death ...it makes it much easier for me to understand the handwriting. :)
You have given me plenty to go through...great stuff.
I have been a bit distracted on another part of the tree but will get cracking again with all of the info received. :)
Thanks all
R

HULL LEICESTERSHIRE.
WASHBOURNE GLOUCS.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Excellent finds CoL.  That would certainly explain the change of circumstance between his electoral roll entries for 1928 and 1935.

I'm not seeing any deaths between 1919 and 1926 to correspond with his statement in the insolvency notice that he had endured 'death of children'.

Electoral rolls show Ivy stayed on at 115 Carpenter St Brighton at least until 1954.  I couldn't see anyone else of that surname at the same address.

I think the Bonegilla State school reference is to another Aubrey MOORE who was about the same age as Aubrey Mervyn MOORE.  I came across the other one when searching the electoral rolls.  He lived in the same general area and was also cremated at Springvale only 5 years after 'our' chap.

Judith