Author Topic: Charles Frederick Gilbertson 1824-1884  (Read 483 times)

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Frederick Gilbertson 1824-1884
« on: Wednesday 25 January 17 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Charles Frederick Gilbertson was born on the 31st May 1824 in Egham, Surrey. He entered the service of the HEIC as a Cadet in 1843 (his papers are on FindMyPast) arriving in India on board the "Castle Eden" on 30 July 1843. He was initially posted to the 43rd Native Infantry and was still serving with them when he returned to the UK in 1852. I am unsure of the date he transferred to the 3rd Madras European Regiment however, he was serving with them when his wife gave birth to one of their children in Secunderabad in May 1855.

He served throughout the Indian Mutiny and received the medal with the "Central India" bar.  retiring to Plymouth where he died on the 23 April 1884.

He was I understand one of the first churchwardens at St Judes Church.

I would be delighted to hear from anyone who can locate his grave or indeed has any other information on him.

Avatar shows  3002 Clr Sgt Charles Brownie, Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry.

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Frederick Gilbertson 1824-1884
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 12:54 GMT (UK) »

Gilbertson retired form the military and was residing at 9, Woodland Terrace, Plymouth when he died on 23 April 1884. He left a will, Probate being granted to his widow Hester and his son, Charles Horatious Keith Gilbertson. 

Avatar shows  3002 Clr Sgt Charles Brownie, Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry.