Author Topic: Steamer "Victoria J Peed"  (Read 520 times)

Offline Mercian7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Steamer "Victoria J Peed"
« on: Friday 27 January 17 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am researching the history of the Steamer "Victoria J Peed" which took part in the Oyster Wars in Virginia in the 1880s. I am trying to find out about its registration which might tell when it was launched and who was its owners. Im interested as it is possible this ship was named after a member of the Peed family in or around Virginia at that time. Unfortunately I can only find a Victoria P Peed and her mother Victoria Charlotte Peed. I thought if I could find more about the ship it might hold a clue.

Offline knort33

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Steamer "Victoria J Peed"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 17 00:57 GMT (UK) »
1-29-2017

Have you done a search on a search engine to find helpful clues?  Search for "Virginia Peed".

It appears that this ship was commissioned from a Virginia governor, William E. Cameron, in the 1880's.

http://www.richmond.com/entertainment/article_f72027bf-ae89-5b66-8181-fdb8ea5fbfd6.html

The state capitol is Richmond, but Richmond could be considered as part of three different counties now:  Chesterfield County, Goochland Count and Henrico County.

Try to find a historical society or genealogical association for one of these counties, and post a query to see if someone in the county (a historian or member of the general public) could perhaps find out more about this ship for you.

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Re: Steamer "Victoria J Peed"
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 17 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this index?  But you need to subscribe to get further information

https://www.shipindex.org/ships/victoria_j_peed
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk