Author Topic: Marriage Records Blackfordby St Margaret from 1833 to 1837  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Records Blackfordby St Margaret from 1833 to 1837
« on: Monday 30 January 17 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just trying to find the marriage of Samuel LOCKER to Harriet ORME, around 1834. The Orme family, including Harriet, were all born and christened in Blackfordby, and their first son Thomas Bevan LOCKER was born there in 1835, christened there on 26 April, 1835,  before the family moved on to Breedon on the Hill 8 miles away. I have found some marriages transcribed on rootsweb to 1833, but nothing beyond then. Anyone help at all?

Tom

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Records Blackfordby St Margaret from 1833 to 1837
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 17 23:54 GMT (UK) »
25 Dec 1834, Ashby de la Zouch, St Helen's
Samuel Locker, Bachelor OTP & Harriet Orme, Spinster OTP, after banns
Witnesses George Orme & Martha Orme.

Harriet & Martha signed X
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jomot, that's another problem solved. That also confirms the maiden name of Harriet LOCKER as ORME. I did wonder if it might have been Bevan or BEAVAN judging by the second forename of their first born child Thomas Beavan LOCKER. That second forename occurs in the next generation too, so I did wonder as to its significance. In that family Samuel LOCKER is the problem-he never seems to know where and when he was was born. In the the census of 1841 he says he wasn't born in Leicestershire, and in the 1851 census he says he was born in Nottinghamshire but the place is just three difficult to read letters transcribed as P N E!

Tom

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom,

My 2X great-grandfather Lewis Orme was baptised at Blackfordby in 1825, although I haven't done very much research further afield with the Orme family.

But here are a few things which might be of help to you....

Marriage at Nottingham St Mary - 15 Sept 1806
John LOCKER & Ann BEVAN

Baptism at Nottingham St Mary - Parents = John & Ann LOCKER
21 Nov 1806 - Elizabeth
18 Jan 1809 - Saml
12 May 1811 - Joseph
18 Aug 1818 - John - abode Workhouse
6 Oct 1819 - Mary - abode Workhouse

Sheila.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Sheila

Thanks another problem solved-yes Lewis but alters his name to Louis later on. It's early days for me researching this family. My interest lies in Lewis's elder sister Harriet who married Samuel Locker. They had 11 children between them, their eldest Thomas Bevan Locker drowning in the reservoir of the coal mine at Peggs Green when he was just 16, trying to swim across it. One of the youngest daughters, Ada, or Adah as she is in the census and free bimd born March quarter of 1855, married James William Martin a railway guard, their daughter Florence married Rev. Wilfred Ewart Selby and so on. Louis Orme was a bit of a gardener wasn't he? Samuel Locker was a musician in his spare time running the Snibstone Colliery Brass Band. Like you I haven't done much more with the Orme family yet.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 February 17 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Jomot

Can I confirm that that marriage record at Ashby de la Zouch St Helen just had the marital status of both parties, not any of their occupations at the time or place of abode? I have seen other marriage records at that time only the marital status is mentioned, but usually confirms or not if they were of the parish of the church in which they were married.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 February 17 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Just another thought does anyone have access to the original baptism records at Blackfordby St Margaret-the full details of the baptisms of children there.

Samuel LOCKER and his wife Harriet ORME christened at least 1 child at that church, the first being Thomas Bevan Locker on 26 April 1835, then they move to Breedon on the Hill where 2 are christened-just trying to confirm Samuel Locker's occupation-by 1841 he was a wheelwright an occupation that he used in various coal mines in the area. Usually the baptism records show occupation of the father of the child don't they? But they are not often transcribed.

Tom

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 February 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom

Per my original post, both were 'of this parish' (OTP).  No occupation stated.

The baptism of Thomas Bevan Locker on 26 Apr 1835 confirms Samuel as a Wheelwright.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 February 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Samuel LOCKER is the problem-he never seems to know where and when he was was born. In the the census of 1841 he says he wasn't born in Leicestershire, and in the 1851 census he says he was born in Nottinghamshire but the place is just three difficult to read letters transcribed as P N E!

Rather than PNE I think the final letter is a K - if you look at the final family on the page, headed by Joseph Knight, the letter K is formed the same.   I would suggest that entry for Samuel is meant to mean place not known.