Author Topic: Descendants of Alois & Selma BAUCH nee Gunther Berlin  (Read 1144 times)

Offline hscott21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Descendants of Alois & Selma BAUCH nee Gunther Berlin
« on: Tuesday 31 January 17 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone

I have been trying to track down details of my grandfather's family from Charlottenburg, Berlin, Germany.

My grandfather's name was Gerhard Aloysius Bauch born in 1905, but I can't find any details of his siblings Otto, Eter (sounds like Pater but without "P") and sister Minna.

Alois, Gerhard's father ran a restaurant in Charlottenburg in Luisenplatz and I have a photo of his family standing outside.  I think Gerhard is the eldest because Alois and Selma were married in 1905 a couple of months before my grandfather was born.

I have the address of the Standesamt Charlottenburg von Berlin BUT I haven't got any exact birthdates to request certificates.  There are a lot of entries for Otto and Minna on Family Search and I only know the phonetic spelling for Eter, so I am not even sure if this name is a nickname or shortened name.

Hoping someone can help with this.

Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e, Hogarth-Scott in UK & Australia, Bauch in Germany

Offline hscott21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of Alois & Selma BAUCH nee Gunther Berlin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 17 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Regarding my earlier post, would a German death certificate necessarily show siblings and be a way of tracing the siblings of Gerhard Bauch.  He died in Hannover 1/6/1980. 

I have a Beglaubigte Ablichtung aus dem Sterbebuch des Standesamtes Hannover, and this shows the time and date of death and the name of my grandmother, but no siblings like Australian death certificates.

Would just like to trace my great uncles and great aunt.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
I have had a bit of break through for for!!

I found Gerhard's parents' marriage certificate. The key information translates as:

Charlottenburg II No. 133 of 1905

28 March 1905

Aloysius Bauch, worker/labourer [Arbeiter], b. 6 July 1876 Wadang, Kreis Allenstein, Ostpreussen [now Wadąg in Poland], of Spree Strasse 1
Son of Joseph Bauch, Arbeiter, and Anna born Kazmarck, both resident in Recklinghausen

Selma Günther, nurse [Krankenpfleger], b. 4 June 1876 Stassfurt, Kreis Calbe, of Spree Strasse 1
Daughter of Martin Andreas Heinrich Günther, bricklayer [Maurer], (deceased) and Johanna Christiane born Arndt, resident in Stassfurt

On the second page of the marriage cert there is an annotation which translates as:

Son born registration Nr. 160 / 1907 Berlin-Wilmersdorf
Married Wilmershaven Nr. 455 / 1940

The Berlin directories recorded the following:
1907 Alois Bauch, Portier [porter/doorman], Berliner Str. 130, Berlin-Wilmersdorf
1910 Alois Bauch, Hausdiener [house servant], Oberberger Strasse 21, Berlin-Wilmersdorf
1915: Alois Bauch, Gastwirth [innkeeper], Luisenplatz 7, Berlin NW6
1922: Alois Bauch, Maschinist [machine operator], Hannoversche Strasse 6, Berlin NW6

The birth registers for Wilmersdorf do not form part of the online collection on ancestry, which explains why you cannot find a record for Gerhard and his siblings.

Justin

I forgot to mention that a 'begläubigte Ablichtung' is a copy of a document which has been certified as authentic. One would only need such a copy to support a legal claim of some sort.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 17 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I have found a solution to your difficulties tracing Gerhard and his siblings.

Die Berliner Einwohnermeldkartei = Residents' Registration Index of Berlin

The requirement to register with the local authorities of one's town of residence has been a long-standing obligation in Germany - it pre-dates German unification in some German cities.

The Landesarchiv of Berlin has re-assembled an index for the whole of Berlin covering the period 1875 to 1948.

See here http://landesarchiv-berlin.de/einwohnermeldekartei

You can request a copy of the card for Alois and Selma Bauch, which should record the names and dates of birth of their children.

If you scroll to the bottom of the webpage cited above, you will find an application form (Antragsformular) in English.

I have obtained the registration cards of many of my ancestors who lived in Hamburg. They provide a wealth of information and helped me immeasurably with my research.

Justin

Offline hscott21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 February 17 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Justin

Thanks so much for these leads.  I will look at them a little bit later on, but did want to acknowledge your work asap.

I will let you know how I go.

Regards

Offline hscott21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 May 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
Justin

Thank you for your earlier help. 

I took a chance and looked in a German phone book for the area where I knew some of my Bauch family lived and was lucky first time!  I am in email contact with my 2nd cousin and his father (my grandfather's brother) had a nickname because the youngest brother couldn't pronounce Erich properly!  So, no wonder I couldn't find my grandfather's brother. 

So far, my second cousin hasn't been able to provide any information on the other sibling Minna. 

Incidently, I found a very helpful website for genealogy called StackExchange.