Author Topic: Saltenstall or Saltonstall in Alford, Lincs  (Read 913 times)

Offline FosseWay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Saltenstall or Saltonstall in Alford, Lincs
« on: Tuesday 31 January 17 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling to find any information about the parents of my 5g grandmother, Elizabeth Saltenstall. She was born during the 1750s in Alford, Lincs. Her age at death in 1839 was given as 84, making her born c1755, but I have seen transcripts (not scans) of records claiming 1758 instead.

She married 30.4.1782 Richard Bunbury Dawbarn of Wisbech, and was known as a writer of religious pamphlets (she even has her own Wikipedia page). The first reference on that page is to a thesis which includes the following:

Quote from: W.F. Yeo, in "William Dawbarn: A Victorian Life"
Oscar Dawbarn (1882-1945), a great-great grandson of Richard Bunbury and a Dawbarn family historian, wrote that Elizabeth was ‘the only surviving member of the Family who were descended from Samuel Saltonstall, the elder brother of the famous Lord Mayor of London (Lord Mayor 1597/98)’

I have, however, found nothing to substantiate that, nor indeed anything else concrete about her birth or parentage. I note the marriage of a Thomas Saltonstall of Orby and Mary Veal otp at Well, just outside Alford, on 31.3.1752, which could (or not) be her parents.

Does anyone know, for example, where there are more parish records available for Alford than have so far been digitised on the obvious sites?

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Saltenstall or Saltonstall in Alford, Lincs
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Lincs to the Past has the register digitised.  It isn't very clear -
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=728738&iid=26344

FreeREG has transcribed Alford .... there is no name like that between 1750 and 1760 at Alford that I can see. Search here http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 09:01 GMT (UK) »
I noticed on the 1782 Marriage it just has Brides Abode as Alford, Lincs
It does not mean she was born there
There is  Marriage Licence also.
Have you tried to access it?

I googled and it is available ;
Ely Diocese Marriage Licences 1684-1811
Richard Bunbury Dawbarn   —   1782   Wisbech St. Peter   Elizabeth
Entry takes you to FindMyPast

I noticed a lot of Salt* are born Yorkshire.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline FosseWay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help, both.

I'm slightly confused by the Lincs to the Past site, as if I search for Saltonstall across the whole site I get two marriage register hits in Alford, but going through the first (1754-67) page by page doesn't yield any Saltonstalls. The second is rather too late for my current purposes and is much longer, and I haven't had time to go through it yet!

As to the marriage licence, yes - I'd seen that transcript on FindMyPast but it doesn't add anything new unfortunately - in particular the bride's father is missing.

It is entirely possible that Elizabeth was born somewhere other than Alford, but in that case I have no pointers whatsoever as to where. The Saltonstall "hotspots" appear to be near Halifax and in Boston, Mass. None of my East Anglian/Fenland ancestors have any connections to either as far as I know.

One other thing - ages ago I was in touch with Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School in Alford because I had read somewhere a suggestion that Elizabeth was the daughter of a schoolmaster. QEGS confirmed that there was indeed a headmaster at the school called Thomas Saltonstall in the 18th century but didn't have any more precise information. This does at least place some Saltonstalls in Alford, but hasn't got me so much further.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Marriages in Lincs to chase up-

SALTONSTAL Thomas to   VEAL Mary, 31 Mar 1752 at Well
SALTONSTALL Thomas to   ROBINSON Elizabeth, 31 Sep 1730 at Rigsby
SALTENSTALL Edward to CANTY Elizabeth, 4 Jun 1725 at Lincoln (St Paul in the Bail)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 February 17 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Marriages in Lincs to chase up-

SALTONSTAL Thomas to   VEAL Mary, 31 Mar 1752 at Well
SALTONSTALL Thomas to   ROBINSON Elizabeth, 31 Sep 1730 at Rigsby
SALTENSTALL Edward to CANTY Elizabeth, 4 Jun 1725 at Lincoln (St Paul in the Bail)
No doubt you are aware both Rigsby and We'll are very  near Alford
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)