Author Topic: Cycle Race - anyone know where?  (Read 9821 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cycle Race - anyone know where?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 February 17 22:32 GMT (UK) »
The building with the "Stout" sign looks to be a large public house / Hotel, I can't help wondering if the white stone post in the picture is a memorial of some kind or even a water fountain (the type where you could get a mouthful of water from a tap), I wonder what the building is running along the side of Dewhurst's butchers shop.

Frank.

I was wondering about that building too.
Could it be a bus shelter?  There is the bus parked a stone's throw away.

Looby

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 February 17 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I suppose it could be, I thought for a second it was in Goole but it isn't  ::)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 February 17 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I wonder what the building is running along the side of Dewhurst's butchers shop.

I was wondering about that building too.
Could it be a bus shelter?  There is the bus parked a stone's throw away.

Public convenience? - but there's no sign on it. Maybe a taxi drivers' shelter? Or if this was a bus terminus, a bus drivers' shelter?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 February 17 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Could it be a coach and not a bus?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 February 17 10:59 GMT (UK) »
I would have guessed a Tour Of Britain / Milk Race but they normally took place in the summer yet no one in the crowd appears to be dressed in summer clothes.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 February 17 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the shop premises next to Dewhurst i agree, it does look like W Fry.  I may be going off in the wrong direction here but i wonder if Fry relates to the Chocolate people. They had associations with Bristol and Bristol had a thriving cycle club in the 1950's  see http://www.binning.co.uk/brc.htm
just a thought.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 February 17 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I would have guessed a Tour Of Britain / Milk Race but they normally took place in the summer yet no one in the crowd appears to be dressed in summer clothes.

Maybe very early on a summer morning? The best shadow I can make out is of a chimney stack on the distant roof, and it's not very long.

I'm finding it hard to give this one up, so here are a few more thoughts...

I'm having a bit of a wobble on some of my earlier thoughts re Yorkshire. This looks like part of a reasonably large town, but (massive generalisation here) Yorkshire towns of that size tend to be either fairly hilly or rather flat. This road is reasonably level, though it appears to slope off round the corner in the distance, suggesting a more gently sloping terrain.

The buildings look fairly typical of an industrial town, but there's not much of the soot and blackening that you got with a lot of heavy industry. Industrial parts of Yorkshire (another generalisation here) tend to have stone or dirty buildings, or both; clean brick is less likely. So I'm wondering if it might possibly be somewhere in the Midlands, where brick is common.

If so, then maybe the bus could be a coach that has brought spectators to see the race/time trial/whatever. I've no doubt there are enthusiasts somewhere who could identify at least the make of the bus, and put a date to it, if that would help.

Similarly the car: my own amateur efforts suggest it's rather like a 1940s/50s Ford Anglia or Ford Popular, except that the front bumper on those was straight. Fords with a dip in the middle of the bumper were the pre-war Ford Model C and Model Y, but the radiator grille is wrong for those. So is there anything else it could be?

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 February 17 16:33 GMT (UK) »
I think the problem with a Tour, is that (especially these days) it has to fit around other more prominent races?

Giro d'Italia in May.
Tour de France in July.
La Vuelta d'Espana in September.
And not forgetting the Spring Classics in Belgium, France and the Netherlands!

Need to find out if these races were always set on these dates?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Trish1908

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am what they made me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the thoughts so far - I am slowly making my way through images that come up when I search google for dewhurst butchers!

Trish
Bone - Leeds/ Tempsford, Bedfordshire
Overment - Norfolk
Skillings - Norfolk
Woodhouse - Kingston upon Hull
Fell - East Yorks
Hulse - Repton, Derbyshire
Cooper - Chapel en le Frith