Author Topic: soldier who died in 1918 . opinions needed  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
soldier who died in 1918 . opinions needed
« on: Friday 03 February 17 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am researching a soldier who was killed in 1918 and would like  some second opinions

4552 PRIVATE GEORGE GRAHAM
his bio
http://www.36thulster.com/george-graham.html

My problem being is that I think the information for George's father's wives  on the above site maybe incorrect. I would like your opinions on this.

The above site says  that his mother was a Frances Culbertson
and she died in childbirth
The above also says that his father remarried an Isobel Stewart -  I can find no evidence of any of those names with those mothers - But I can certainly find all those above names birth certificates, census etc , with  the two different mothers, Margaret Alexander and Annie Lamont who were residing in gate end /Castle st. ( I have, the marriages, births and death certificates of the below family that appear in the 1901 and 1911)

Is  this the same George Graham in 1911 and 1901 below ? If not , can anyone find the family from the above site  in one of the censuses , or those children's births to a Stewart and a Culbertson?
1911 census , George's  father  George is widowed http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Ballymoney/Castle_Street/125355/

1901 census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Ballymoney__Urban__and_Ballymoney_Urban_District/Castle_Street/1008695/  Annie is his wife

The above family in the 1901 and 1911 fits in with everything , children's names , place ,  their births etc , except for the wives .
If the above family in the 1901 and 1911 census is them, the  site/book does have it wrong ( I have all the birth certs for the children and the two marriages of George, and wives deaths for the above family who lived in Castle st)
If it isn't them - where are the family that the above site has ? Can anyone find them

Children's names  from the census all in castle street (exactly the same names as the children on the tree on the above site, same  father and occupation , same address etc)

Ellen       
Minnie       
Mary Jane       
Margaret       
Rebecca     
William James     
George
Robert
Annie
The soldiers will is on the archives, which matches in with the family  that I have in the 1901 and 1911 census.

Apparently , the info was taken  from is a book by Robert Thompson, Ballymoney Heroes 1914 to 1918 . How do I get in contact with the author to ask him where he got his information from  regarding   a George and family, as I can not seem to find any evidence of all those children's births and their father's marriages  to either an Frances Culbertson and an Isobel Stewart, maybe I cant see the wood for the trees.

Thanks for any help
Kind Regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: soldier who died in 1918 . opinions needed
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 February 17 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Castle Street Ballymoney is the address George gives for his father on his will, so it looks like you have the correct Census.
http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.ie/reels/sw/1918_22/GrahamG_E649388.pdf

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 February 17 02:14 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the side of the photo with the logo at the top of the Heroes Details you linked there is a Facebook and email symbols, click on one of them to make contact.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 February 17 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thank you Sinann,
I am almost certain..ish  that I have the correct family, but needed someone else's  opinion but my own, as I may not be seeing things straight (too close to home and all that as the family in the 1901 and 1911 censuses is my G grandfather's brother, nephews and nieces.)

If the author of the book is referring to my family in castle st, he has definitely got some of his info wrong (mainly the names of the wives and also dying in childbirth - The first wife did die, but it was a couple of years after George jnr's birth and not of  childbirth - I have the death cert, and her name was Margaret Ann Alexander , died 1896.

His second wife  Annie Lamont died too, in 1905. Unless he marries a third time after Annie's death and after the 1911 census (I can't seem to find anymore marriages for him , but that's not say there wasn't one) ... I don't know where the author got those two ladies names from because they are not the names on the children's birth certificates and his marriages.

Kind Regards

Ps My grandfather , George junior's 1st cousin (who 's dad and family is also living on the same st) did say that his cousin got blown up in the war . If he was referring to this George - I do not know, as we have a few war deaths in the family)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 February 17 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that whoever provided the author with the information was mistaken. I can't find anything different than what you've found and posted.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 February 17 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey
Kind regards :)